10 Replies - 1452 Views - Last Post: 22 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

vb.net / asp.net what is the differance?

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi I have been asked to make a contact manager in VB.net as a test for a job (I have a week). But I have no knowledge with vb.net or sql. so i am a noob but I think im right in saying .net is a framework but I cant find any tutorials on VB.net

But I found a contact manager tutorial in ASP.net which looks great.

I just want to know if there a difference or is VB.net a broad term for .net languages.

Do I need to know Visual basics then add .net to it?

lol i need some serious help on where to start. I have some knowledge of PHP and mysql and I know Html CSS and Javascript so im not a total noob.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: vb.net / asp.net what is the differance?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: vb.net / asp.net what is the differance?

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

First off - not to be an ass but if this is a job do they know you do not have any prior .NET experience?

.NET is a broad term for the libraries used. ASP.NET is 'active server pages' aka web pages. They can be written in C# or VB. In general VB.NEt is coined for people who write desktop applications with VB (this can be done in C# as well).

What do you mean you cannot find any tutorials on VB.NET? What are you search terms? We have a ton here (above), but I know for a fact there is an insane number.

Are most going to take you from 'no experience' to something more mature than that, I don't know. I do know that MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) has a great method help and what not.

So wait, you are going to do your job test by copying someone else's tutorial? That's a bad idea on so many levels.

Yes there is a difference between VB.NET, C#, and so forth.

Unless you learning a really old version of VB (like VB6 or earlier) you would pick up VB with the .NET... since VB uses the common .NET libraries.

Oh, and MSSQL is not the same as VB.NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 March 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

First off - not to be an ass but if this is a job do they know you do not have any prior .NET experience?

LOL! yeah they do know! the Director contacted me and said we found your CV online and saw your website and wonder if your interested in joining us I thought it was a web designer role but it turned out to a development one, I said I have no experience with vb.net but will give it ago.

So If I grab a recent visual basic book and follow that it will cover vb.net from the start?

I wasn't going to copy someone else's code I was going to do the tutorial and hope that I learn from it. Using my initiative :)

Search term wise I was using vb.net and could't really find anything useful I will check the forums now though.

But on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest) do you think I could make a contact manager app with vb.net in a weeks time?

This post has been edited by lrk89: 21 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

This intrigues me. Why do you think they would gove you a week to write a pgm when they know you have no experience?

Having said that. You will need a back-end to store the information. For something like you described, I would use Microsoft Access. There is a wizard that will build a contacts database for you. The you can delete the forms and hook it into VB. I am assuming you know something about database design, Codds laws (referential integrity), etc.

I would probably rate this project as a 6 or 7 for you, since you have no VB .Net experience. There is a LOT you will need to learn a lot in a very short amount of time, particularly database interaction (Connections, datatables, dataadapters, Commands etc) as well as simple stuff like the IDE, controls and forms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

lol thanks Shadar, I'm not sure but its a junior role and I would have a mentor that would train me up.

The database has to be in SQL and the only DB I have used is Mysql. I could probably write this program in PHP and Mysql easy and make it look good so its annoying that it has to be in something I don't know.

I am researching it now and will have a proper crack at it tomorrow but How do you even build VB.net in to a web page? I have seen ASP pages but not vb.net

This post has been edited by lrk89: 21 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

You more than likely WERE looking at web pages. Again - ASP is all about server pages. Don't let the back end language of C# or VB.NET cloud the issue. If you say 'VB.NET' it more than likely means a desktop app (well unless your context was already web pages).

So If I grab a recent visual basic book and follow that it will cover vb.net from the start?

I don't know. Honestly, I would be impressed to see how far you got. Object interaction, being able to find method calls you need on MSDN, connecting to a database, scope, variables, etc are rarely learned in a week. Hard worker or not.

But on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest) do you think I could make a contact manager app with vb.net in a weeks time?

I say 8.5.

Ugh. "vb.net tutorial" tends to direct the search.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

This is a snippet of the instructions I received

Introduction
Wed like you to put together a web-based contact manager as an exercise to see what level of skill you currently have (or can acquire quickly!) in our core technologies VB.Net and T-SQL (Microsoft SQL Server).

So based on that and searching for VB.net tutorials I cant find a web based vb.net solution I just get ASP.net thats why I am confused.

How would you tackle the problem? So I know what to search for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well yeah.. again ASP.NET is the webpage libraries... the language is VB.

You start by getting the express edition of visual studios... (vb flavor)... install it.. make a new project from the 'web projects' templates and go to town.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

.Net is vastly superior to PHP, but in my experience also a little
more more complex. More can go wrong if unfamiliar with
the platform. Luckyly, Visual Studio is by far my favorite code-editor
out there. DB-wise, MSSQL and MySQL differ verry little.

It feels strange a company is willing to educate someone in this field,
unless they are verry hard-pressed to find someone already familiar with
the matter.

While I do believe .net aint to hard to tackle for you since you
already learned another language, a few weeks is a verry short time
to go from novice to experienced, let alone build a decent, complex,
(near)bug-free, maintainable application at the same time.

Assuming the company is serious in its effort to educate you,
you might make it if you are really motivated. Just make sure they
dont throw you in the wild without any kind of support, or you will
end up struggling every step on the way to deliver an inferior product,
and you will get the blame for it.

Difficulty scale ranges between 4 and 10, depending on what they will
actually expect you to build, how much time you will get for it, and
howmuch support they will be offering you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Usually, ASP.Net is referring to the markup a programmer supplies in the actual .aspx file(s) while VB.Net tends to refer to the 'code-behind' file(s) that are inherited by the .aspx page(s). They get misued often...especially when people are looking for something specific in their prospective employee.

I was called by a scout last week and they asked me if I could program in .Net and VB.Net languages...I paused for a moment and then went ahead and told them what I thought about their list of questions. Eh, I wasn't looking for a new gig anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

I cant seem them expexting alot from you since you have little experience. Do what you seem to do best and design webpages within visual studio. Im sure your employer wont want a very complicated app, show your design skills, chuck in some commands behind button clicks and show how to write error free code that reports exceptions.

Bung in a small database with some methods like ADD , DELETE & UPDATE within the form / webpage anf if you get time try creating a query.

Hope this helps
Kevin

Start by designing a webpage or form :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1