6 Replies - 1461 Views - Last Post: 25 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Index of Browser Specific Formatting Differences

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

Howdy! After having realized a page design I've been working on only looks "correct" in firefox and failing to locate one myself, I was wondering if anyone here knew of a site or sites that have an index of all the different ways that the most popular browsers out there format html and css code. Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb question, I honestly put some effort in to find something that's reasonably up to date but alas I have fehled.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Index of Browser Specific Formatting Differences

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Index of Browser Specific Formatting Differences

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey VonKaiser,

An Cross-Broswer compatability index would be an amazing resource for designers and developers! I know I've tried looking for something decent to fill the void but I believe it would be quite the undertaking.
Maybe if a bunch of people banded together who could bring best coding practises and savvy photoshop skills to display differences between various brower versions and types. I love cheat sheets :)

Here are some resources I do use when I have some browser compatibility issues, especially with everyone's friend IE6.

IE6 Designer's Cheat Sheet
Sitepoint: 8 CSS Techniques You need to Know
IE6+ CSS Exploits

I know this is primarily IE based, but I find it gives me the most trouble when doing layouts so hopefully someone can find these helpful and learn something!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

View PostVip3rousmango, on 24 March 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Hey VonKaiser,

An Cross-Broswer compatability index would be an amazing resource for designers and developers! I know I've tried looking for something decent to fill the void but I believe it would be quite the undertaking.
Maybe if a bunch of people banded together who could bring best coding practises and savvy photoshop skills to display differences between various brower versions and types. I love cheat sheets :)

Here are some resources I do use when I have some browser compatibility issues, especially with everyone's friend IE6.

IE6 Designer's Cheat Sheet
Sitepoint: 8 CSS Techniques You need to Know
IE6+ CSS Exploits

I know this is primarily IE based, but I find it gives me the most trouble when doing layouts so hopefully someone can find these helpful and learn something!

Thanks man! Hopefully more people chime in and with them, the holy grail of css compatibility may reveal itself bit by bit ;_;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

with CSS you mainly have 2 cases: standard compliant browsers and IE. differentiate between them through conditional comments.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

Good idea Dormilich,

That could be the basis for the cheat sheet layout; having IE seperate from all standard compliant browsers. And then showing the breakdown of which standards are supported for each version of IE (6/7/8/9) on one side displaying CSS properties, and then on the other you can display the information on browser specific CSS properties and proper usages.

The sheet could include recognized CSS hacks which do or don't work in specific browsers or conditions. Those are always helpful to designers still trying to make sense of designing for 3 browsers at once if they seek compatiability for their designs and layouts.

Anyone else have some suggestions? I'll get my friend who's illustrator savvy to whip something up something with vectors so it's printable and visually appealing unless someone is up to the the task??
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Don't mean to double post, but I can't edit my previous post for some reason?

Just came across this resource and needed to share it!

------>>> CSS3 Please <<<------

It's a Cross-Browser CSS3 Rule Generator! I know this will save me tonnes of time designing for cross-compatability!

Check it out!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks guys :3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -