Web design program with PHP support

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 6353 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2011 - 02:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web design program with PHP support

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi. This is newbie question. I am pretty new in web programming but have long experience in C++. I want to start to create my web sites (business). I was thinking to use PHP (mainly to transfer data between web users using databases etc.) which I am familiar a bit + its easy. But I would like to have nice design as well. So which Web design program would be best for me? I was thinking WebPlus, but I am not sure if it supports well PHP. Or does it even need to support it?? Will I create first pages using WebPlus and then add php manually inside the code? Or how it works? I am a beginner so I dont know... can somebody give direction please. I would not like to spend more than 50.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web design program with PHP support

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web design program with PHP support

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Go with the Eclipse IDE and the PHP plugin for coding. It's free, and superb. I use Eclipse for Java programming, and I like it for that. I'd use it for web development, but I already use Dreamweaver CS4.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hey.

There are plenty of free IDEs that you can try. If your main focus is web-design, then I'd suggest trying Aptana Studio. - If you are mainly coding in PHP, I'd suggest Netbeans or just Eclipse with PDT.

Then there is always Adobe Dreamweaver. It's more for designers than coders, kind of like Aptana.
However, it's not free (costs like $400), and it's vastly overrated in my opinion. -- I'm sure plenty of people will think differently though. -- Worth getting a trial version, to test it out, at least.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Go with the Eclipse IDE with the PHP plugin for it. Eclipse is free. I recommend it, because I use it for java programming. The PHP plugin is very nice, I hear. Only reason I don't use it now, is because I have Dreamweaver CS4.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

I disagree with you Atli. I only think it's slightly overrated. But it is very functional for all of my html, css, and js needs. The code hinting is not up to par on the php side of the house for me (it does not even come close to the HTML/CSS abilities of DW, which I very much like). Any any extensions that are available for it, that I've found anyways, are back from the MX days.

And, ultimately, I've been think about switching to a new IDE in the last few days myself (I'm really getting into PHP development now). And the one I'm leaning towards is the NetBeans edition of Eclipse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

View PostGhandiJones, on 25 March 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

Go with the Eclipse IDE with the PHP plugin for it. Eclipse is free. I recommend it, because I use it for java programming. The PHP plugin is very nice, I hear. Only reason I don't use it now, is because I have Dreamweaver CS4.

Ok, Thanks. I just installed Eclipse and have tried it before. But but... with eclipse I cannot do proper graphical web design like with WebPlus I could. I mean how can I also make nice looking web sites? I do not think Eclipse can do it?? Or can it? Can I mix WebPlus with Eclipse (so doing PHP with Eclipse and graphical side , like buttons /picture etc. with WebPlus)?

I surely know how to make simple looking websites with PHP/Eclipse - thats not a problem. Problem is that how to make nice looking sites which I think requires some kind of Web desigh program as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Oh, got you. Basically with web design you build a design "template" in a graphics program and cut that into images. Those images are then used to style your pages. That's all done with CSS. A good free image program would be gimp. I think there is a decent free vector alternative to Illustrator as well, I just can't remember the name.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 is pretty good and all rounded also my personal preference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

He's only looking to spend $50 tops though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:03 AM

View PostGhandiJones, on 25 March 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

He's only looking to spend $50 tops though.

Or say $80
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

View PostGhandiJones, on 25 March 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Oh, got you. Basically with web design you build a design "template" in a graphics program and cut that into images. Those images are then used to style your pages. That's all done with CSS. A good free image program would be gimp. I think there is a decent free vector alternative to Illustrator as well, I just can't remember the name.

Ok, I get your idea. So I would do it (colors, buttons...) manually using html/php programming. That might work for me because my site is gonna be pretty simple... only couple of pages. So I think I could do that. But still I would need some ready made good looking web templates to chose from. Its difficult for me to create nice onces from the scratch. So were could I get/buy those templates. SAy like 500-1000 to chose from. Well, I guess buyig one of these design programs would do it. But gimp does not have website templates I guess..?

I would prefer the option that I would mix eclipse PHP programming with some design program (like WebPlus). Because they have some ready made e-commerce things there I would not need to program myself. Although not sure if they are easy to program with php as well.

This post has been edited by Juha: 26 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

View PostJuha, on 26 March 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

Ok, I get your idea. So I would do it (colors, buttons...) manually using html/php programming. That might work for me because my site is gonna be pretty simple... only couple of pages. So I think I could do that. But still I would need some ready made good looking web templates to chose from. Its difficult for me to create nice onces from the scratch. So were could I get/buy those templates. SAy like 500-1000 to chose from. Well, I guess buyig one of these design programs would do it. But gimp does not have website templates I guess..?

I would prefer the option that I would mix eclipse PHP programming with some design program (like WebPlus). Because they have some ready made e-commerce things there I would not need to program myself. Although not sure if they are easy to program with php as well.

Check into wordpress then. There is already a large number of templates to choose from. Then you can add the functionality you want to the templates you like, and modify them with HTML/CSS and PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:07 AM

View PostGhandiJones, on 26 March 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

View PostJuha, on 26 March 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

Oh, got you. Basically with web design you build a design "template"

Check into wordpress then. There is already a large number of templates to choose from. Then you can add the functionality you want to the templates you like, and modify them with HTML/CSS and PHP.

I am slowly getting the idea. I need website templates as you said. Ok. I am already testing actually. I found a free template and put some PHP code there. You can check my first version: http://www.c-programming-tutor.co.uk . Yes, I am doing c++ tutoring :). Look at how nicely the contact form works with my first PHP! Can you go to my site and send me a contact message. Also, what do you think about the site look? Its quite simple now. Better be more colors? If less colors/pics its faster isnt it? Would be nice to get my first message to my mailbox :). Also my google ranking would go a bit up... I already registered with google.

But I am now getting this. Using templates is the main thing. But I am still not sure is it better to modify those templates using some kind of Web-design probram , or just manually and using PHP/eclipse? Somebody here must know the answer .. :). So I will download a template and then manually continue from there, or I link a web design program to it and use PHP as well?

This post has been edited by Juha: 27 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

Also, what do you think about the site look?

It is definitely a start.

Better be more colors? If less colors/pics its faster isnt it?

Not at all true. It depends on how the images are encoded, as well as the amount of colors IN the pictures. There are tons of work arounds for design. That is a question and answer probably best kept for another post, though. So, you may want to look into some design sites like CSS Tricks, Nettuts, and the HTML/CSS section on here. There are a very large number of sites dedicated to that.

Just to show you a good example of info you're looking for, try this tutorial on CSS-Tricks. Building a website, starting with the graphic mock, it'll help you out a lot, I think. I know you don't have Photoshop, but it's a good ground basis of how web design can work (and you can achieve similar results with Gimp). Watch parts 1 and 2. Part 3 deals with WordPress conversion.

And like I said on your site, Keep at it!

This post has been edited by GhandiJones: 27 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostGhandiJones, on 27 March 2011 - 04:59 AM, said:

Just to show you a good example of info you're looking for, try this tutorial on CSS-Tricks. Building a website, starting with the graphic mock, it'll help you out a lot, I think. I know you don't have Photoshop, but it's a good ground basis of how web design can work (and you can achieve similar results with Gimp). Watch parts 1 and 2. Part 3 deals with WordPress conversion.

And like I said on your site, Keep at it!

Ok, I I ll check those, and yes this is not a PHP issue really. But the reason I writed here was to understand the relationship with PHP and web design/web design programs. I understand CSS theory, so I think this will go forward now.

And about my site: I need to get better look obviously :). But I just took the first simple template I found just to start and get clients coming to my site and so that some kinf of web site is running to get business going.

But nice that PHP is so easy so that I dont have to use months to learn it because its not my primary area to learn web programming really right now.

I got your message.

This post has been edited by Juha: 27 March 2011 - 05:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +