7 Replies - 1673 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Physics for Computer Science?

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

I was thinking about the reasons why Physics would be a good class to take before doing a College Degree in Computer Science. Over here in Ireland I'm in the equivalent of High School, it's called secondary school and you have to choose some subjects besides Maths, English and French, so I chose Physics as I thought it would help me with Computer Science in the future. Does it just help you with logic or are there other benefits? Thanks, Paul.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Physics for Computer Science?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Physics for Computer Science?

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

View PostGrub, on 26 March 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

I was thinking about the reasons why Physics would be a good class to take before doing a College Degree in Computer Science. Over here in Ireland I'm in the equivalent of High School, it's called secondary school and you have to choose some subjects besides Maths, English and French, so I chose Physics as I thought it would help me with Computer Science in the future. Does it just help you with logic or are there other benefits? Thanks, Paul.

Physics is used in games, if that is your focus than it would be a good idea to take it, if not well I don't think it's that important (I am a big science geek so I would take it anyway lol). That was what I was told at least.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

In the states we are required to take a certain amount of science courses and here in Canada (at least in Newfoundland) you are required to take even more. If you're strong in math then physics would not be a bad idea, and I find it pretty interesting anyways.

As was said, physics is very important in video game programming, along with Linear Algebra.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

Also, physics explains why the hardware of the computers work, which is something you might also be interested in knowing. Hardware is mainly electrical engineering, I believe, which is a lot of physics. Physics is also a very logical science. As far as the three main sciences (i.e. biology, chemistry, and physics) go it is the closest to computer science in the way to think. In physics, you take a problem, turn it into terms you understand and can work with, then solve it. The way of thinking is akin to computer science.

Plus, it's just fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

Physics is just something you need to know to be an educated, serious scientist. You don't need to be a hardcore quantumphys devotee, but just know things. It's cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

View Postjoeydog, on 27 March 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

Also, physics explains why the hardware of the computers work, which is something you might also be interested in knowing. Hardware is mainly electrical engineering, I believe, which is a lot of physics. Physics is also a very logical science. As far as the three main sciences (i.e. biology, chemistry, and physics) go it is the closest to computer science in the way to think. In physics, you take a problem, turn it into terms you understand and can work with, then solve it. The way of thinking is akin to computer science.

Plus, it's just fun!

Yes, I picked Physics out of the 3 sciences and it definitely seems to help in the logical thinking but that's it. It's worth doing since its the most interesting subject I do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

To be honest, I took physics in grade 11 and 12. I use the knowledge I gained in that class all the time.

For example... up here in Canada owning firearms requires a 14 hour 2 day course. I have finished the first one and the second one will happen today. Yesterday we worked out how far bullets will go with wind resistence gravity mass velocity etc.

It wasn't necessary but some of the guys were impressed that we could prove that certain bullets will consistently fly 2.5 miles...

My advice take it. If someone is shooting at you, you can calculate how to avoid the bullet :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

View PostGrub, on 27 March 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yes, I picked Physics out of the 3 sciences and it definitely seems to help in the logical thinking but that's it. It's worth doing since its the most interesting subject I do.

It's worth more than that, although you may not do things in your classes yet that obviously relate back to physics. Glad you like it though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1