7 Replies - 948 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

VB.NET or Java?

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

I'm deciding which focus I want to take for community college (they are VB.NET or Java). I will, of course, transfer to a 4-year University, but for now I think I will take as many credits as I can at the community college (plus an associate's degree is better than no degree at all). My goals are to go to University of Texas at Austin afterword and perhaps even continue on either a master's in software engineering or computer science. After that I would like to work in game programming, but of course I don't expect to get into that until I have enough real world experience.

Which of the two languages are better to focus on?

The curriculum is here on page 191, if you are interested.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB.NET or Java?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: VB.NET or Java?

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Make sure you have all the info before starting an associate's degree. When I first came to the USA I started off at a tech college doing an associate's degree and after my first year I looked into transferring to a university for a bachelor's degree and found that all of the classes in the associate's counted for precisely zero in a bachelor's degree. The only classes from the tech college that were worth anything were the General eds, so I stayed at that college and got all my gen eds done online before transferring to big school to get a real degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

View Postkiasta, on 26 March 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm deciding which focus I want to take for community college (they are VB.NET or Java). I will, of course, transfer to a 4-year University, but for now I think I will take as many credits as I can at the community college (plus an associate's degree is better than no degree at all). My goals are to go to University of Texas at Austin afterword and perhaps even continue on either a master's in software engineering or computer science. After that I would like to work in game programming, but of course I don't expect to get into that until I have enough real world experience.

Which of the two languages are better to focus on?

The curriculum is here on page 191, if you are interested.

Pick the one you're more comfortable with or pick the one you know less and force yourself to figure out your own 'learning style.' Being able to rapidly learn new topics, tools, utilities and languages early on will only be a boon to you later on. Additionally, take whichever language you want. It's not the language that's important, it's learning the logic behind the language. Typically, all languages are essentially the same. For statements, for instance, are not, contrary to popular belief, bank breaking in any language over another. You will never switch languages, stare at a for statement and wonder what the hell it means. Reason being, they're all the same.

Which brings me to the point: It's not about which language you focus in, it's about the logic behind them, learning how to solve problems, write conditionals and most of all, forcing yourself to figure out a 'learning style' so that you can quickly and effectively leverage new tools and languages as the need arises.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

I don't normally endorse one language over another because, as already mentioned, it is about the theory behind not the language itself. But in this case I would recommend you learn Java in school and then I strongly recommend VB.NET on your own. If you are serious about programming and computer science, you will need to learn both anyways.

Why? Because VB.NET will give you the foot in the door to the .NET languages and we all know that the .NET family of programming is everywhere. Java is also going to help you with developing on the desktop and for mobile devices/embedded devices.

VB I find a little bit easier to learn on your own and Java's vastness is better covered by a good school program where you can ask unlimited questions.

But this is just an opinion piece, so take the advice for what it is worth. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

View Posthookiethe1, on 26 March 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

Make sure you have all the info before starting an associate's degree. When I first came to the USA I started off at a tech college doing an associate's degree and after my first year I looked into transferring to a university for a bachelor's degree and found that all of the classes in the associate's counted for precisely zero in a bachelor's degree. The only classes from the tech college that were worth anything were the General eds, so I stayed at that college and got all my gen eds done online before transferring to big school to get a real degree.

Hmm, I had a problem with another college about transferable credits (basically none of them were transferable), thanks for your advice, I'll look into that because I didn't even consider that possibility since it is a community college.

View Postccubed, on 26 March 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

Pick the one you're more comfortable with or pick the one you know less and force yourself to figure out your own 'learning style.' Being able to rapidly learn new topics, tools, utilities and languages early on will only be a boon to you later on. Additionally, take whichever language you want. It's not the language that's important, it's learning the logic behind the language. Typically, all languages are essentially the same. For statements, for instance, are not, contrary to popular belief, bank breaking in any language over another. You will never switch languages, stare at a for statement and wonder what the hell it means. Reason being, they're all the same.

Which brings me to the point: It's not about which language you focus in, it's about the logic behind them, learning how to solve problems, write conditionals and most of all, forcing yourself to figure out a 'learning style' so that you can quickly and effectively leverage new tools and languages as the need arises.

Yeah, I understand that, I know C++ already (well perhaps not well enough to work in the field, but enough to understand other people's code and know how to modify it) so I know the logic, conditionals, loops and such (maybe I should have mentioned that). I think Java will be easier for me to learn since it is an oop language like C++ (at least I hope). Thanks for your advice.

View PostMartyr2, on 26 March 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

I don't normally endorse one language over another because, as already mentioned, it is about the theory behind not the language itself. But in this case I would recommend you learn Java in school and then I strongly recommend VB.NET on your own. If you are serious about programming and computer science, you will need to learn both anyways.

Why? Because VB.NET will give you the foot in the door to the .NET languages and we all know that the .NET family of programming is everywhere. Java is also going to help you with developing on the desktop and for mobile devices/embedded devices.

VB I find a little bit easier to learn on your own and Java's vastness is better covered by a good school program where you can ask unlimited questions.

But this is just an opinion piece, so take the advice for what it is worth. :)

Well I plan on learning C# eventually as well. I know a little bit (only enough, really, to make little scripts for runUO [an ultima online server emulator, written in C#]) but I suppose learning VB.NET will not hurt, there may be a situation where someone close-by will be looking for a VB.NET programmer. Thanks for your advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

If you plan on learning C# eventually, Java would probably be the best seeing as java and C#'s syntax is almost identical in all the faucets, theres little differences here and there but for the most part its the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I definitely recommend learning Java anyway, even if you don't necessarily need it right now.
It's the most in demand language so that alone makes this a no brainer :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

java will pretty much transfer anywhere. But you do have to pay attention to the sequence that you take. Here in California we have 2 university systems: UC and CSU. UC's are the more top tier research oriented universities and each system accepts different transfer classes. Look up what transfers to UT schools, but don't set your heart and soul on just Austin....you might not get in. Pick at least 3 schools that you would like to transfer too just in case, and see what requirements they all have.

good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1