4 Replies - 2446 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

getting flash site listed on search engine

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

After creating a website in flash 8, I am unsure what else I can do to get listed on a search engine. I have submitted to a number of search engines Google, Yahoo and other sites that promising to list you but with no joy. The site has been live now for 2 - 3 months and it is not listed anywhere even if I type the url directly into the search engine. I am not trying to get a high rank on these pages I just want to be listed. I have tried creating meta tags and title tags as well as a Robot.txt file, could it just be time or do you think I am doing something wrong. I have read flash sites are hard to get good ranking but not at all seems a bit much. Anyones advice would be much appreciated the url is My Webpage if this is any help.

This post has been edited by davehugh: 28 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: getting flash site listed on search engine

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: getting flash site listed on search engine

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

submitting can work, but your best way on is $, pay to be listed or just start paying for advertising elsewhere, if your site becomes popular enough they should list you so that they can have your traffic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

William is right submitting can work, but usually doesn't. You have to get links to your site from other sites. Take whatever your site is about and search for directories and similar sites.

i.e. If your site is about gardening. Search for "gardening directories" and "gardening resources" then try to get your site linked from those places. When google sees links to your site, it will try to index it. Google is able to index flash, and you're right, it won't rank as high as a text site, but you can get listed pretty easily.

Now, the bad news. If you've used services that "submit your site to 300 search engines for free" you may be stuck for a while. Those services can actually hold up the process of getting you listed.

Your best bet is links. Lots of links. Got a friend with a website? ask him to link to you. Got a blog? link to your new site from your blog. I think you get the idea. It's all about links. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

A good way of getting your site indexed is to create a blog that links to your site. Once your blog is created and you write a few posts, ping it using the following service:
http://www.pingoat.com/
Make sure your blog has an RSS feed and include it in the ping.

Does your flash site have a custom message for non-flash users, suggesting that your site is "best viewed in flash, blah blah blah...?" If so, include additional copy and links within the message. This isn't considered cloaking as long as the content you include is the same exact content a user with flash installed would see. The content will be read and indexed by Google, and with some strategically placed keywords, and a TON of back-links, you should be on your way to ranking well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

Getting flash site crawled is a nightmare,

First of all do you have a non flash version of the site? if you said no and your in Europe then you are more then likely breaking the disability laws for your country and opening yourself up to a law suit. You are also making life much harder for yourself.

There are 2 ways to make flash sites crawlable

1) Create a html site equivalent with a redirect to the flash site this will allow the html to be crawled and will therefore make the site searchable.

2) A slightly more complicated but better solution, use XML documents to hold the site content, then create server side pages (PHP, ASP) to act as an interchange to pull the xml node contents to either the flash site or if no flash player is detected to generate a static HTML site. the advantage of this technique is it is the same page, which allows deep linking within a flash site as well as making it crawlable for search engines and usable by blind readers.

There are plenty of tutorials on parsing xml through PHP, ASP and many tutorials on hooking flash to a PHP backend so you shouldn't have to much trouble implementing this style of site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1