4 Replies - 382 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2011 - 07:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Java 3D

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hi guys. Just slightly confused about something. I have a big project coming up where I create a virtual world, so I decided to use Java 3D because I have never tried it. However, for some reason, I was under the impression that Java 3D was new, but when I go to look for books, I see books on the subject as far back as 2002. So basically my question is, is Java 3D new or not? I have googled but cant seem to find anything useful. I also may be getting confused with it being JOGL being the new one.

cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java 3D

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java 3D

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Try JMonkeyEngine 3.0, it's currently in Alpha (the 3.0 version), but it's great, and fairly easy to use and make a simple program.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

View Postnick2price, on 27 March 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

so I decided to use Java 3D because I have never tried it.

This is strange philosophy. You deliberatly look for trouble or what ?
Your employer pays you to use new gadgets or you do not have to produce results ? Hope I had an employer like your's.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

I wish I was making a simple program, lol, got a six month project where I am basically looking to develop something like Second Life. I was looking at JMonkey, but my hardest thing at the moment is deciding which language and/or platform to use. As this is a huge project, I will most likely stick with java, as this is where I am most comfortable. But then there are other things to consider like why should I use JMonkey over JOGL? Why OpenGL over direct x? Is JMonkey well supported?
So much to consider before I can relax with the simple task of programming!

@PBL. This is actually a Masters project for University, and this year I am doing it in Multimedia over computer science. However, my project leans more towards computer science. And in regards to me saying I have never tried it, my philosphy is that once you have learned to read and implement one api, you can read and implement any api. I am hoping this is the case, lol.

This post has been edited by nick2price: 27 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

View Postnick2price, on 27 March 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

@PBL. This is actually a Masters project for University, and this year I am doing it in Multimedia over computer science. However, my project leans more towards computer science. And in regards to me saying I have never tried it, my philosphy is that once you have learned to read and implement one api, you can read and implement any api. I am hoping this is the case, lol.

:^: good for it son
But don't give me this argument: so I decided to use Java 3D because I have never tried it.
if it is not for pedagogical reasons
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1