4 Replies - 449 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

OOP: The Peak in the Evolution of Programming?

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Does object-oriented programming represent the peak in the evolution of the programming language paradigm? Or do you think new / better ways of coding will evolve in the near or distant future?

Just something I've been thinking about.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: OOP: The Peak in the Evolution of Programming?

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: OOP: The Peak in the Evolution of Programming?

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

I think solutions for concurrency, whether working in tandem or as a whole new paradigm (see functional languages for interesting takes on this) will be the next big deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

who says oop is the current peak?

as the words xclite chose, 'the next big deal'.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best. And just as any popular thing; fads roll in, fads roll out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

OOP is certainly popular, for a number of reasons. I don't believe anyone would claim it is the only solution for a problem or even the best one. It addresses issues of complexity and scalability, which plague most large projects. In many cases, it's not the most "optimized" code; you've traded some speed for a lot of control. For most large projects, this is more than acceptable.

The current challenge is taking advantage of all those cores... Parallel processing is a challenge. Thinks go all pear shaped with some other thread reaches into your previously single code. A number of functional languages address this with no side effect paradigms. Lispy things are experiencing a renaissance.

Even the idea in OOP of type safety and security is being challenged by the new breed of duct type languages, also very popular. C# even gave in entirely and implements a number of functional tools in what was once pure OO.

Short answer: OOP is ideal for some applications, not all. Just like anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 28 March 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

who says oop is the current peak?

According to some schools of thought, OOP is the most "advanced" style of programming we have right now, and I was just wondering if we could look forward to something "better" in the future.

Personally, I wouldn't place OOP above structured programming. Either can be as "advanced" as the other. It all depends on the application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1