1 Replies - 645 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Oregon Colleges for Computer Science?

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

I was hoping I could get some input on what four year Oregon university would be the best fit for me. I am currently working towards an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree from a community college that I can use to transfer to a four year university as a junior. The structured nature of public education works well for me, which is one reason why I am after that 'piece of paper'. Once there I intend on pursuing a degree in computer science (I am confident in my language, math, and problem solving skills, so I have started programming). I am looking for a public Oregon university so that I can keep my costs down and stay close to family (plus I like it here). I'd like to find a college with a good technology department where I can really learn, and that will look good on paper.

I have already attended Oregon Institute of Technology, but I found that the town wasn't a good fit for me. Also I understand that they have a non-traditional degree pathway that incorporates more technology courses throughout the first/second year. If I tried to transfer to OIT with my AAOT degree, I don't think I would be prepared for what would be thrown at me, and it could extend my schedule past the typical 4 years.

My parents have recommended Eastern Oregon University, but I have read some disappointing statistics regarding it. Instead I have been looking primarily at Oregon State University and the University of Oregon. I am open to some tailored suggestions though, if anybody has any ideas or personal experience that would help me find a good match.

This post has been edited by BurntVandal: 27 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Oregon Colleges for Computer Science?

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Oregon Colleges for Computer Science?

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

Oregon State University is probably a better fit but unless you're okay with Corvallis as a college town, it's tough to swallow and takes some getting use to. UO is in a bigger city but given the two, I would prefer OSU Dept of Engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1