10 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Is My Logic Of Efficiency Correct? Or am i kidding myself

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

Today i have university, i have a maths lecture and software development lecture.

The maths is in the handbook and is in my opinion best practiced by completion of problems in conjunction with reading.

The software development course covers the engineering side of design, UML, Unified Process, Use Case Diagrams, Class Diagrams etc, the lecturer is crap. She reads word for word off the power point slides, with none add-lib information and is very hard to understand as she mispronounces words (she is Chinese) and is very quiet.

I travel close to 2 hours 40 minutes each direction to university, meaning for the 2 hours i spend over 5 hours in transit. I have decided to work from home, not only does it save me money in travel costs, it also gives me near enough to 6 hours to work as apposed to the wasted time travelling.

Is this a good thing to be doing, now the difficult subjects and those that are trying i do turn up for and complete the work and listen to the lectures. The fact is i gain very little out of these lectures and find working autonomously that i achieve a greater and deeper understanding, coupling this with the added time of 6hours or combined of 8hours to complete what is usually achieved in 2 hours, i know that i can cover a significant more amount of ground and get more work, more understanding without coming home in the evening and pancaking on the lounge in exhaustion.

As i said, i don't feel comfortable doing this, however the lectures suck and its really a matter of going through the motions. I am well ahead on my work and will be even further ahead by the end of today. I turn up to the tutorials, which is where i get most of the benefit.

Whats your opinion of my actions in this situation?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is My Logic Of Efficiency Correct? Or am i kidding myself

#2 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is My Logic Of Efficiency Correct? Or am i kidding myself

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'd do the same damn thing.

That's like a buddy of mine. All of his classes are about 45 min south in Ft. Lauderdale, but one class is a 2+ hour drive in rush hour on the other side of Miami in Coral Gables. The class is miserable and boring for the same reasons as your class (just a different area of study... he's not computer science). He regularly does the same thing to save time and expenses.

I'd just stay on top of what was gone over in class. Maybe get connected with a mate in your class so if she pulls any curve-balls you are prepared come exams.

Be careful who you select though... some people can get annoyed very easily after taking on such a request. It's a sizable favour to request, and you don't want to come off ungrateful. I've had dicks do this with me, and half way through the semester act all shitty because I had a sick day and they couldn't find out what happened that day. Sorry, not my responsibility... it was a favour and my health took precedence.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 28 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

That action is the best case in that situation, it saves time and resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

I have about an hour each way to school and I've done the same thing when lecturers just stand there and read the powerpoints. But it is a gamble, even if 9 lectures out of 10 have no surprises that still leaves 1 out of 10 that does. The times when I've done it I usually try to make every other class or something, just so I at least look like I've made an effort.
Also remember that if you ditch all your classes and it's a small enough group that your absence is noticed, if you do find yourself struggling or needing help from the lecturer they will be far less inclined to help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

Yeah well its basically an agreed situtation. I chose this university specifically because of the courses content. This is just some monotonous stuff that is standard in any engineering degree. No doubt its important, however it is also something that is more writing than programming, the maths is well just that maths and i do keep on top of it. I guess the curve ball that could be thrown would be hints as to something specific for the exams. My one and only concern is insight into the assignment work. Sometimes a question will be asked and the lecturer will without prompt elaborate on the question giving helpful insights into the marking criterion. Other than that, i have a 800 page textbook for both subjects, if i learn whats in that - then surely i can pass with whatever level/degree of competency required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I agree with your action 100%!

Last semester when I was Java we originally had a temp professor because our actual professor had just had a baby. Once she returned everything went to hell. She to was EXACTLY like your professor. I literally only showed up to class for the exams. However I she knew how I felt about the situation and no problem with me doing my own work and learning methods.

As for Mathematics, I tend to struggle in the sense of I look entirely to far into the problems and the easiest solutions elude me. Thus, I have to do many problems and self study in order to stay ahead. I would suggest keep up with the math and do extra problems and you should be fine even with that.

Good Luck and don't get down about not attending lectures. As long as you keep up on your end and there isn't any attendance requirements then you will be just fine!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yea no attendence requirements for the two courses, we have graded quizzes which i attend. However yea it is certainly easier to work autonomously for the most part. Speaking of which tomorrow is a big day. I have my programming course all day basically tomorrow. Should be a healthy 16 hour day.

Cheers for the reassurances, i figured i would see what other people are doing, i was thinking to myself that perhaps i am slackening off. Oh and just some kudos for DreamInCode, i actually have learnt 100x more on this forum than i do at uni, of course some things are not covered here that are covered there, perhaps i should blog about it? Prolly not, no one reads mine anyway -_-
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostDaneAU, on 29 March 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

Yea no attendence requirements for the two courses, we have graded quizzes which i attend. However yea it is certainly easier to work autonomously for the most part. Speaking of which tomorrow is a big day. I have my programming course all day basically tomorrow. Should be a healthy 16 hour day.

Cheers for the reassurances, i figured i would see what other people are doing, i was thinking to myself that perhaps i am slackening off. Oh and just some kudos for DreamInCode, i actually have learnt 100x more on this forum than i do at uni, of course some things are not covered here that are covered there, perhaps i should blog about it? Prolly not, no one reads mine anyway -_-

Blog about and it send me a link! I'll read it!

As for DIC yea it's amazing! I have not been super active as of lately due not doing very much code. I have been focusing on mathematics and personal relationships as of late, however soon enough I will be back in the swing of things!

TTYL Dane!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

I've had classes like that in the past; unfortunately in my course skipping out of lectures is not an option. I believe 5 missed lectures results in your removal from the class if the instructor wishes it. You also got to take into account that these people will be marking your work-- best not to get on there bad side.

But I would probably do the same in your situation if it was that much hassle just to get there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

I've skipped many a course for this reason. In my opinion, the best courses shouldn't and don't need a mandatory attendance sheet as part of the grade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

@ Yea well i might, been learning some interesting things of late that are probably tutorial worthy. I have a few big assignments to get out of the way so i might start piecing things together. :)

@Deviara That is true, they do mark the work. However the courses that tend to be like the ones described are usually main stream and subsequently its very rare a lecturer will now you by name unless you constantly speak to them. So marking is not such a personal thing as it is in later courses where your interaction with the lecturers is far more frequent.

@xclite Never has a truer word been spoken. The courses requiring mandatory attendance are usually the flop courses that are just fillers in between the beef. People don't attend because they are garbage and time is better spent on others with a Credit pass sufficing. Luckily these tend to be the introduction courses where they treat people as they they are still school kids. I can see the reasons why, however i go of my own volition and subsequently make decisions affecting my future on my account. Attending these legislated compulsory courses is something of a requirement for funding. If people didn't turn up and auditors came in to review the university i am guessing many academics could get the boot because they appear not to be engaging students. Of course this is probably reading to much into the situation.

In the end people will leave lectures early, yesterday people did it like 10 - 15 mins before the end in one of my courses, acting as if they know it all, yet they won't and don't get 100%. Not only is it rude to the lecturer in smaller classes ( say 30 people) its also annoying for others who are trying to squeeze every bit of insight out of what is being taught. Oh well thats the prerogative of others. Nothing much can be done about that. End Rant. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1