2 Replies - 677 Views - Last Post: 03 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Drupal? Php? Joomla?

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hi guys, just a quick question. I am developing an e-portfolio website for my masters degree, where students will be able to do many tasks to increase their liklihood of employability (upload their projects, produce a cv, etc). I am a bit stuck on what tools I should use to implement this.

Never used Drupal, but hear it is good for things like this. However, there is the need for quite a bit of coding in this project (as a requirement), and I dont know how reliant drupal is upon coding? (Does drupal involve to much "Drop and Drag" to be considered a programming tool?).

Php is another option, know the pros and cons of this. My interest in drupal is that it is written mainly in php.

Joomla I am very new too, so dont know too much about this. Once again however, my concerns will most likely be similar to that of my drupal concerns (to much dropping and dragging).

As always, I am looking for some advise from you guys. If you were creating what I was, what tools would you use to achieve it?

cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Drupal? Php? Joomla?

#2 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Drupal? Php? Joomla?

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Since you're building it for school - and presumably a good portion of your grade will be dependent upon this decision as well as potential future employment - I would hand code the PHP. It's much more impressive to say "I built this myself" as opposed to "I used someone else's work to display my work".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Drupal? Php? Joomla?

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

I agree with BenignDesign. While in the industry you will have to use whatever frameworks your shop has ,or you may want to utilize a framework for rapid development, for a school thing it may be best to hand code. PHP is a robust and flexible language and really easy to pick up especially if you are familiar with another OOP language.

You could build the back end with MySQL, the portfolio itself could be a great way to show software design and development skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1