Database Integration

For 18,000+ entries

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1803 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2001 - 08:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• $

• View blog

Database Integration

Posted 15 September 2001 - 10:33 PM

Well my Dad is the Webmaster of http://www.silentera.com/ and he has a collosal (18,000+ entries) database of silent films that he has been wanting to integrate into his site for quite some time. But hasn't been able to find out how to effeciently convert it from a HyperCard Stack to something that can be easily posted on his page without going through and doing it "manually". Any suggestions? He also mentioned attempting to use some kind of script that would build a page live based on someones search, etc. I hope you get what I'm talking about.. 'cause I sure don't. :embarrassed:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database Integration

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database Integration

Posted 15 September 2001 - 11:24 PM

Well, as for converting it from a hypercard stack to another database, I have no idea how to do that, but I would suggest trying to convert it in to a MySql Database and using PHP to build the dynamic pages that will retreieve the info from the MySql DB and display it in the browser.  You should probably check the MySql homepage to see if they mention anything about Hypercard Stack conversions.  www.mysql.com or www.mysql.net I don't remember which.  MySql & PHP are free and can run on just about any server imagineable.  
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2001 - 12:36 AM

I couldn't find anything that worked specifically with HyperCard Stacks but thanks anyway for the resource. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2001 - 08:37 PM

Perl works just as well with mySQL, although for beginners I'd recommend PHP as it's far more forgiving, and can always be optimized later.  Once the data is in the db either a Perl or a PHP script *should* be able to retrieve it, although the methods are slightly different.

My suggestion is to find a Perl module that will allow you to transfer the data out of your current db into a mySQL db, and then use a Perl script to do so, once that's done go and make pages fetch the data depending on certain items that you define and generate the pages "dynamically" through various means in a templated form with PHP..an example of a work in progress is http://www.musicaldi...gest/digest.php -- be sure to click the "more digest entries" link as I'm still converting them, the front page is a layout generated by a dynamic fetch and then it pulls in reviews, once you go back a couple of pages you'll see.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1