my website

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1220 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Poll: my website (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Does this site suck?

1. You fail, start from scratch (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No its AWESOME (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Eh its getting there...... (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

my website

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

It is a portfolio site to share my work and hopefully get some type of work. It is still in developement and will be getting updated. i used a free template and plan on hacking it up with dreamweaver (the learning curve is a bit wide here but i can manage). ill end up starting a topic in the html/css page but not until i have specific questions. basically is what will happen is each page will have that same layout but i want to change it either 1. the main text area has a scroll box with pics of my work and descriptions (as well as download links on an ftp) or 2. the same page without a scrolling box just increase the height of the main text box area and scroll the entire page. as of right now neither are getting accomplished because i destroy the page layout when i start messing with the divs and spacing. also i noticed on wide screens i have large black spaces on the sides, i would like to make the page autosize but again no idea how to do it. sry about the rambling but i want to fill in what im doing and see what more experienced people think.

http://www.dev-pad.com/index.html

REPLY HERE DO NO USE THE CONTACT PAGE IT IS BROKEN
http://www.dreaminco...tch-formatting/

questions? comments? complaints?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: my website

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: my website

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

What's with the random images everywhere?

Also, I'm fairly sure you have to keep the copyright in place even if you did change the template. Not your code and all that junk. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:15 AM

View PostNeverPool, on 30 March 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

What's with the random images everywhere?

Also, I'm fairly sure you have to keep the copyright in place even if you did change the template. Not your code and all that junk. :P

the random images are part of the template, i was having trouble removing them (as in the divs' and spacing) without messing up the rest of the page. ive been slowly tackling this project. as for the copyright idk how legit it is since i didnt actually register the site with anything. just another part of the template lol

but thanks for taking the time to look at it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

In my opinion, this template is not really suitable for a serious portfolio.
It's kinda unorganized and messy. Also, dark colors aren't really nice for an eye catching portfolio.
If you want to promote your work as a game designer/programmer, i would say you need a site that shows your creativity.

For example, look at http://kylegabler.com/oldsite/
His site/portfolio is quite creative and organized.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I hope it helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

I want to add that the links below look terrible , and the total width of your website is 1147px, these days you should develop a site with the minimum width 1024px, change that template width a bit less .

Also , i dont like the sidebar which fades in with the black .

Youre are keeping with the rounded corner style which is good.

There is a problem with the footer on this page in Firefox

http://www.dev-pad.com/3dmodels.html

and i would suggest you change that machingun image to have rounded corners to fit in with the hole website.

I do like the menus above .

Greetings

Marinus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

You should NEVER use a template for anything serious. If you don't have either the cash or the time of day to design one yourself then you're in the wrong industry. If you're not aware of even how to fix it then you need to stop and LEARN web coding, it isn't something you can skip over carelessly.

It's unprofessional and will drive away any possible clients.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

well i am learning it obviously or i wouldnt be here.
i didnt come here to get bashed on sorry i dont have a masters degree and followed the advice from my professor to download a template to see how its done. then edit it and learn, i have never once built/edited/or used html. as for it being boring yes it is indeed boring, i plan on making my logo a flash image that has the text like swirl off into the background. as you can tell i haven't put much time into yet but i have over a month to have a complete web site. the product you are viewing has only been edited a handful of times, maybe showing it this soon was bad but i wanted to get advice on things like the size/color. 1024 is what i was aiming for but my math was off then i made the logos and backgrounds so when i put 1024 in the script i had overlapped areas. the models section has been the page ive mostly been working on, i want to get the ftp going and have downloads to some of the work i have done. my design skills are weak so I want to put emphasis on the coding and the engineering/development parts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

I'll be honest. This is a terrible template.
Not only is it extremely messy, hard to navigate and downright poorly put together... it's graphically and visually hideous. The color choices are horrible. Your logo font is horrible. The textures are dated...

Start from scratch. If you're not a web designer and don't want to hire a pro, may I suggest wordpress for your needs? You can download a nice, easy to use template and install it on their interface. You could use the interface for updating and never have to touch HTML or CSS again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

Starting out is no excuse to use bad practice in design, it will only haunt you later. It's harder to learn things the right way and of course most people don't, but those are the same people who have no business in web design and development as is.

If you were truly serious about forwarding yourself in the web arena you would find a way to fix things and learn things in such a way to progress.

I'll be blunt, I'm not here to pat anyone on the head and say good job like some third rate professor or teacher. I tell it like it is because people don't need that garbage, it only builds some horrid ego and no real skills. You learn far more from someone who will critique your pieces half to death than the usual "Good job! It looks amazing!"

I despise people like that, they corrupt people with potential.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

The 5 'L' to Success (I just thought of that) :)

Learn about CSS .
Learn about jQuery . (The New age flash and Javascript) Cool effects!
Learn about PHP . To work on that contact Page
Look @ other sites while developing , if you find a nice feature on another site.

Then copy that(Use FireFox , right click on the nice part that you see .Then click inspect element) . THen you can learn all about how to get that effect in CSS ,HTML ,jQuery\Javascript.

Somewhere i read that i great artist copies only the best that he sees but morphs it into his own vision.

Greetings

Marinus

This post has been edited by marinus: 03 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

@marinus

That's 4 'L' dude :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

:oops:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

ill figure it out
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

restarting the site from scratch, it will get rid of the extra stuff and i will format it better. as for now the colors may stay. will change once i make a better background using lighter colors and gradients. i started my own template already and will soon be changing the site over.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Another great portfolio website if you are looking for some inspiration:
www.edankwan.com/.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -