Getting Started with C#

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2016 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2011 - 07:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting Started with C#

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

hey .. can anyone suggest me site to help me with the learning of c#....the tutorial given on this site is just very confusing and i need some other sites o heplp me learn this new Language......so please guyz suggest some sites for the same
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting Started with C#

#2 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting Started with C#

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Well, we've been working on a learning path for new C# developers here:

http://www.dreaminco...%23-start-here/

Other than that, check out the MSDN, and search for Beginner C# Tutorials.

Funny thing about experts...usually, it's been so long since they learned from the beginner stuff that they either don't know where it is anymore, or the stuff that they learned from is out of date.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

Standard resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.

I am going to guess that you are trying to teach yourself C# without much guidance, a decent book or without knowing where to look. Sometimes just knowing where to look can make all the difference. Google is your friend.
Search with either "C#" or "MSDN" as the first word: "MSDN Picturebox", "C# Custom Events", "MSDN timer" etc.

But honestly, just typing away and seeing what pops up in Intellisense is going to make your self-education take 20 years. You can learn by trying to reverse engineer the language through banging on the keyboard experimentation - or you can learn by doing the tutorials and following a good "How to learn C#" book.

May I suggest picking up a basic C# introductory book? There are so many great "How do I build my first application" tutorials on the web... There are dozens of "Learn C# in 21 days", "My first C# program" type books at your local book seller or even public library.

C# resources. Start here
Intro to C# online tutorial then here...
C# control structures then here.
MSDN Beginner Developer video series
MSDN video on OOP principals, making classes, constructors, accessors and method overloading

The tutorials below walk through making an application including inheritance, custom events and custom controls.
Quick and easy custom events
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Debugging tutorial
Working with environmental variables

Debugging tutorial
Debugging tips
Great debugging tips

Build a Program Now! in Visual C# by Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-2542-5
is a terrific book that has you build a Windows Forms application, a WPF app, a database application, your own web browser.

C# Cookbooks
Are a great place to get good code, broken down by need, written by coding professionals. You can use the code as-is, but take the time to actually study it. These professionals write in a certain style for a reason developed by years of experience and heartache.

Microsoft Visual Studio Tips, 251 ways to improve your productivity, Microsoft press, ISBN 0-7356-2640-5
Has many, many great, real-world tips that I use all the time.

Writing a text file is always one of the first things people want to do, in order to store data like high-scores, preferences and so on
Writing a text file tutorial.
Reading a text file tutorial.

These are just good every-day references to put in your bookmarks.
MSDN C# Developers Center with tutorials
Welcome to Visual Studio

Have you seen the 500+ MSDN Code Samples? They spent a lot of time creating samples and demos. It seems a shame to not use them.

Let me also throw in a couple tips:
  • You have to program as if everything breaks, nothing works, the cyberworld is not perfect, the attached hardware is flakey, the network is slow and unreliable, the harddrive is about to fail, every method will return an error and every user will do their best to break your software. Confirm everything. Range check every value. Make no assumptions or presumptions.
  • Take the extra 3 seconds to rename your controls each time you drag them onto a form. The default names of button1, button2... button54 aren't very helpful. If you rename them right away to something like btnOk, btnCancel, btnSend etc. it helps tremendously when you make the methods for them because they are named after the button by the designer.
    btnSend_Click(object sender, eventargs e) is a lot easier to maintain than button1_click(object sender, eventargs e)
  • You aren't paying for variable names by the byte. So instead of variables names of a, b, c go ahead and use meaningful names like Index, TimeOut, Row, Column and so on

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Also, in addition to books, don't underestimate the power of tutorial videos. A lot of times hearing something explained and seeing it in action is much less confusing than reading about it. Youtube is packed with tutorial videos for just about anything you could want to learn. Just be aware that it can take time to find videos by someone you can understand and whose screencasts are actually readable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

http://msdn.microsof...r/bb308734.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:12 AM

View PostHRISHI_K, on 30 March 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

hey .. can anyone suggest me site to help me with the learning of c#....the tutorial given on this site is just very confusing and i need some other sites o heplp me learn this new Language......so please guyz suggest some sites for the same

visit W3schools.com it ll be use full for u.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostG_rose42, on 01 April 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

visit W3schools.com it ll be use full for u.

How will w3schools.com help somebody trying to learn C#? It deals with web development, doesn't it?

I would suggest the following sites (in addition to our C# series that Curtis Rutland mentioned):

http://msdn.microsof...6(v=vs.71).aspx

http://blackwasp.co....ndamentals.aspx

http://www.csharp-st...m/Tutorial.aspx

And Tryparse's post is very true as well :)

This post has been edited by CodingSup3rnatur@l-360: 01 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

It deals with web development, doesn't it?

Yes, and not very well at that. W3Schools is a waste of time. They fool suckers with their name; making people think they are affiliated with W3C even though they're not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 31 March 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Well, we've been working on a learning path for new C# developers here:

http://www.dreaminco...%23-start-here/

Other than that, check out the MSDN, and search for Beginner C# Tutorials.

Funny thing about experts...usually, it's been so long since they learned from the beginner stuff that they either don't know where it is anymore, or the stuff that they learned from is out of date.

already gone through the begineers stuff.....but its not helping much
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well, a number of other people have posted links. Hopefully you find what you need there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 31 March 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

Standard resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.

I am going to guess that you are trying to teach yourself C# without much guidance, a decent book or without knowing where to look. Sometimes just knowing where to look can make all the difference. Google is your friend.
Search with either "C#" or "MSDN" as the first word: "MSDN Picturebox", "C# Custom Events", "MSDN timer" etc.

But honestly, just typing away and seeing what pops up in Intellisense is going to make your self-education take 20 years. You can learn by trying to reverse engineer the language through banging on the keyboard experimentation - or you can learn by doing the tutorials and following a good "How to learn C#" book.

May I suggest picking up a basic C# introductory book? There are so many great "How do I build my first application" tutorials on the web... There are dozens of "Learn C# in 21 days", "My first C# program" type books at your local book seller or even public library.

C# resources. Start here
Intro to C# online tutorial then here...
C# control structures then here.
MSDN Beginner Developer video series
MSDN video on OOP principals, making classes, constructors, accessors and method overloading

The tutorials below walk through making an application including inheritance, custom events and custom controls.
Quick and easy custom events
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Debugging tutorial
Working with environmental variables

Debugging tutorial
Debugging tips
Great debugging tips

Build a Program Now! in Visual C# by Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-2542-5
is a terrific book that has you build a Windows Forms application, a WPF app, a database application, your own web browser.

C# Cookbooks
Are a great place to get good code, broken down by need, written by coding professionals. You can use the code as-is, but take the time to actually study it. These professionals write in a certain style for a reason developed by years of experience and heartache.

Microsoft Visual Studio Tips, 251 ways to improve your productivity, Microsoft press, ISBN 0-7356-2640-5
Has many, many great, real-world tips that I use all the time.

Writing a text file is always one of the first things people want to do, in order to store data like high-scores, preferences and so on
Writing a text file tutorial.
Reading a text file tutorial.

These are just good every-day references to put in your bookmarks.
MSDN C# Developers Center with tutorials
Welcome to Visual Studio

Have you seen the 500+ MSDN Code Samples? They spent a lot of time creating samples and demos. It seems a shame to not use them.

Let me also throw in a couple tips:
  • You have to program as if everything breaks, nothing works, the cyberworld is not perfect, the attached hardware is flakey, the network is slow and unreliable, the harddrive is about to fail, every method will return an error and every user will do their best to break your software. Confirm everything. Range check every value. Make no assumptions or presumptions.
  • Take the extra 3 seconds to rename your controls each time you drag them onto a form. The default names of button1, button2... button54 aren't very helpful. If you rename them right away to something like btnOk, btnCancel, btnSend etc. it helps tremendously when you make the methods for them because they are named after the button by the designer.
    btnSend_Click(object sender, eventargs e) is a lot easier to maintain than button1_click(object sender, eventargs e)
  • You aren't paying for variable names by the byte. So instead of variables names of a, b, c go ahead and use meaningful names like Index, TimeOut, Row, Column and so on

thanks a lot for the tips at the bottom of ur post........they r really helpful....also the links u provided definately gave me a direction.....i was googling it and trying to get some useful article's...but its difficult to learn it that way.......so thanks for ur links...hope i finish larning it sooner now i have ur guidance.....

thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

View PostHRISHI_K, on 05 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

So you've done all the tutorials in the Learning C# path, that Curtis Rutland gave you a link for.
And you've done all the tutorials through all the numerous links I gave you in response #3.
You've picked up at least one of the Intro books that were recommended to you and worked your way through the first few chapters
But you're just not making any progress. It is still just gibberish to you
Is that right?

Maybe this just isn't your career field. I've never been able to pilot remote control aircraft. I just don't have the mental skill of recognizing Left and Right from the perspective of the aircraft when it is not facing the same way I am. Not everyone has the 'graphic artist gene' or the 'pastry chef gene' or the 'software developer gene'.

Maybe you need to consider an intro course at the local community college. That would be a cost effective way to see if you can pick it up from a live instructor rather than the self-teaching approach. Maybe you just need a different type of teaching, than self-education.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

@G_Rose

w3schools does not cover the basic of C# . Please make sure you give the right links , as not to confuse someone . Thanks :)

If you have gone past the beginner stuff , then you would be an intermediate programmer which means you would not need to look at tutorials as much , and you would not be confused .

My advice is , if you struggle with something , ask about that specific thing or take a step back an try to work on it

To me it looks like you are all over the place with no specific goal you are trying to achieve with the basic of C#.And not learning much about the Framework , and skipping the basics somewhere .

With what are you struggling?

This post has been edited by marinus: 05 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

UPDATE:
I guess I was typing my response at the same time you were writing an additional, and more positive sounding comment.
I hope I didn't discourage you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 06 April 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

Well, a number of other people have posted links. Hopefully you find what you need there.

yes sir....especially the 2nd post and the link below written by a person named "maffelu"
its totally great

http://morkalork.com...articles/csharp
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +