• (5 Pages)
  • +

65 Replies - 11201 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 8 (?)

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have my doubts about this tablet-esque interface that will run well on keyboard/mouse desktops and laptops. So far not happy with the setup.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, I really don't know if I will like it or not. It does seem that they are moving away from the Desktop experience in favor of supporting mobile technologies. I would be willing to try it depending on what the reviews are, but I have a feeling my Windows box will be keeping Windows 7 on it for awhile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 August 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

I have my doubts about this tablet-esque interface that will run well on keyboard/mouse desktops and laptops. So far not happy with the setup.

I agree.

It feels like I am running WP7 on my computer. I am so use to the previous Windows GUIs that I think it would be hard to get use to. Those giant buttons are fine on phones because of the smaller screens, but on a 22" display, it might get awkward.

"Never judge a book by its cover"
I hope the end product is better than what I see today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

True.. well god damn if Apple's moving away from a desktop experience to some over blown iPhone experience then why the hell wouldn't Windows follow? I would imagine they would have a more traditional or classic option out there..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

View PostDogstopper, on 04 April 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

They didn't learn with Vista....

Windows 7 is better then Vista so they did but that is all I think, I personally don't like the Windows 8 start menu ... lets see how it will all end
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Well this won't stop until the joke is killed. I love that windows 8 is being called "the metro experience". Bwahahaha..
Spoiler

By now you've seen two different elements of the Windows 8 design—first, a Metro style user interface we showed previously and in a video seen by millions of folks. And recently, we have described in this blog some of the enhancements we’re making to familiar Windows desktop tools such as Explorer and the copy file dialog. We’ve seen a lot of dialog about these changes.
cite1

This concerns me:

Essentially, you can think of the Windows desktop as just another app.
cite1

this makes me happy.

Our design goal was clear: no compromises. If you want to, you can seamlessly switch between Metro style apps and the improved Windows desktop
cite1

I guess Neo was right.

We started planning Windows 8 during the summer of 2009 (before Windows 7 shipped).

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Really, if you all are so sick of Windows changing looks then switch to Linux. If you don't like it you can change it to whatever you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Nope - I am concerned about the treatment of a desktop environment like a common poopie app. I don't have a touch screen for a desktop and would like it to stay that way. Of course I probably won't leave Windows 7 for about ten years so that's fine.

Plus I don't have time to remake the linux (aka Ubuntu ;) ) desktop, and I don't wanna!

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 01 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

View PostMacjohn, on 04 April 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

I read a few things this morning but nothing that sticky I guess...all rumors, crappy pictures.Everybody allready loving it but they haven't even seen it.
What I really pray for is that they don't give us a Windows Vista 2!!!
Please!!! :surrender:

you are so humorous!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

Awww shit. This might be a game changer for me.

In building Windows 8 we worked to enable Hyper-V, the machine virtualization technology that has been part of the last 2 releases of Windows Server, to function on the client OS as well. In brief, Hyper-V lets you run more than one 32-bit or 64-bit x86 operating system at the same time on the same computer. Instead of working directly with the computer’s hardware, the operating systems run inside of a virtual machine (VM).

https://blogs.msdn.c...-windows-8.aspx

A good background of hyperv in that link as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

So does that mean that they'll be even faster, since it's not running directly on the hardware?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

View PostCreecher, on 08 September 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

So does that mean that they'll be even faster, since it's not running directly on the hardware?

If anything it will be slower... but it should mean there will be less blue screens and a crash should be minor rather than take over the whole machine. A bit like Linux and Mac have done for YEARS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

I would imagine if you are running multiple virtual machines then yeah it'll slow down. Thankfully they kept the root OS with access to the hardware or bad things would occur.

Having said this, using virtualization has its limitations. Features or applications that depend on specific hardware will not work well in a VM. For example, Windows BitLocker and Measured Boot, which rely on TPM (Trusted Platform Module), might not function properly in a VM, and games or applications that require processing with GPUs (without providing software fallback) might not work well either. Also, applications relying on sub 10ms timers, i.e. latency-sensitive high-precision apps such as live music mixing apps, etc. could have issues running in a VM. The root OS is also running on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, but it is special in that it has direct access to all the hardware.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

This is also a plus! I wonder if I'll be able to have a pc snagging TV in a MythBuntu VM while I am pwning n00bs in Double Dragon windows edition?

Since Microsoft has been working on getting Hyper-V drivers into the Linux kernel, Windows 8 computers with Hyper-V will be able to run multiple versions of Windows and Linux.

http://arstechnica.c...requirement.ars
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

They seem to have been working on making bootup fast... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ivx3W2ipdeI I wonder how long it will stay that quick!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +