• +
  • Last »

140 Replies - 6697 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Religion Debate

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Well I don't think that this is prohibited but if it is then a moderator please lock. I am just starting this up to see peoples opinion on beliefs and stances on (a)theism. Well first of all I am atheist and I just like debating with people on the topic of religion. Just post your opinions and let the debate begin!

This is funny but think about it seriously:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Religion Debate

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Religion Debate

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

I am not an atheist, but I do believe that a lot of what science offers cannot totally be understood. To the ancients, the concept of the atom was fresh and theorized by their wise men. These days, it is taught in elementary schools. However, how can one theorized the concept of reality and souls. It has been theorized incorrectly since the beginning of time, and originally, religion WAS the scientific answer. I'll admit that it has strayed over the years to be human-based, but sometimes (and at the time), it is the only answer we have. However, nothing, even atheism is an absolute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 31 March 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

I am not an atheist, but I do believe that a lot of what science offers cannot totally be understood. To the ancients, the concept of the atom was fresh and theorized by their wise men. These days, it is taught in elementary schools. However, how can one theorized the concept of reality and souls. It has been theorized incorrectly since the beginning of time, and originally, religion WAS the scientific answer. I'll admit that it has strayed over the years to be human-based, but sometimes (and at the time), it is the only answer we have. However, nothing, even atheism is an absolute.

You're right. Nothing is absolute. But still atheism is my firm opinion. I like how you said it. In the beginning religion was the only answer that humans had to explain things. A lot but not all has been cleared by science. Again though, very good post :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

The funny thing about this is that whenever people talk about religion and try to make fun of it, or oppose it, they do so only of the few main religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism), they, however, do not say anything about countless other religions. I have have read many forum posts on religious debate and have so far seen that the debate tends to be about the same three religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism). Even in this video, they only criticized the three religions (for one of the other religions, all they said was wear funny clothes, which is not part of the religion). So what i am trying to get to is that i think its necessary to not renounce religion because you found faults in the three religions (they are of the same core) but rather to also realize that eastern religions are very different from western religions and the same things dont apply.

And in another semi-related note, basically the things that the video is saying can also be applied to atheists
for example:
1. the video says "if only thet were as smart as you", however this is what the video is saying, that basically atheists are smarter)
2. "you can feel the need to tell everyone..."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Also, a lot of modern religion IS tradition and things like wearing fancy clothes and saying liturgy simply because that's how it's always been done. I can still believe in all the philosophical truths of the religion without the "frill". Some things are good to do, while others have been added.

I think the main fault with non-religious folks is that they can't see past the oddities AND start with the denial of deities. Conversely, religious folks deny the realities that science brings. My personal belief is that both coexist. One just needs to keep their mind totally open on both sides of the story. :)

And xtfresh, I totally agree with you. It goes with what I just said about the odd-outer appearance that religious folks IN GENERAL give off. And I would also agree that the world generally looks at 3-4 specific ones and say "That's it." There's a LOT more out there.

Believing in something that is not concrete applies to both Atheists and Religious folks. While it is necessary, I think that the world generally needs more acceptance on both sides.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

There are extremists of both kind (atheists and theists). That is what is wrong with the whole deal. I'm fine with people having religion but the thing I hate is the people hat say stuff like one way is the only way. A girl at my school hates me because of what I think. She will put religious cards in my locker saying I will go to hell and that kind of stuff. She is super religious. When I say that she thinks we came from dust and life started 4000 years ago. It is just that kind of stuff and the extremes of the big 3 modern religions that make me annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Ah.. so extremism (relatively) is the problem. Taking a cause to the core and living that cause through and through. Gotcha. Where's the bright line for "extremism"? Sure blowing yourself up seems pretty extreme. Burning someone on a cross is pretty extreme. Putting cards in your locker? Mmm.. I don't know. That might just be passionate. How about spending time making silly videos mocking someone else's views? Blowing up churches?

What I am getting at, and hopefully trying to preempt, is the common internet pit when religion is brought up. Everyone has their own ideas of "extreme" and when the mud and poop flinging begin it is really mostly directed at those fringe elements. Guilt by association and what not. I would like to have a bright line to fall back on.

Additionally - what's with this fishing expedition OP? "to see peoples opinion on beliefs and stances on (a)theism" - eh, what? So everyone just ponies up, raises their hand like a census or AA meeting ("Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm a wiccian. *everyone* Hi Bob!"), and that's that? I suspect you are looking for someone to make a comment so you can lash out all your repressed anger building up from Little Ms Suzie Goldstein and her pro-Jewish/anti-Atheist valen-taint's day cards. Is that about accurate? If you want to pick a fight just do it man. Sack up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, it's not like we need to deliberately create new religion based threads, a certain percentage of threads in this forum just end up on religion anyway.
From the individual's point of view, knowing something and believing it are synonymous. You can argue this topic till the cows come home and present all the facts you want, nobody is ever going to change their mind.
What it comes down to is that you can never win an argument in which your opponent doesn't follow the same rules of logic that you do. Where one says "it can't be true, it defies all the science that we know," the other will simply say "it requires a leap of faith."
I predict that this will go the same way as all of the religious threads. It will get heated for a while, there will be some incredibly long posts presenting passionate arguments from both sides, nothing will be resolved, and eventually everyone will just get tired and let it go. I'm going to try to sit this one out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

I still vote it's a fishing expedition to yell at people due to repressed lust for Ms Sally Goldstein who spurns the OP with her cards.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 31 March 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

Well I don't think that this is prohibited but if it is then a moderator please lock. I am just starting this up to see peoples opinion on beliefs and stances on (a)theism. Well first of all I am atheist and I just like debating with people on the topic of religion. Just post your opinions and let the debate begin!

This is funny but think about it seriously:

Ahh my friend but the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ is the absolute truth and the beginning of wisdom. I said the gospel not religion, religion is not faith but a practice in what you believe, even so atheistic belief is a religion. Even our faith is the faith of Jesus Christ not ours but a gift of God.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

or just make believe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

Lol. Maybe the girl just likes you? Be happy a girl is putting notes in your locker at all. You should be thrilled! :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:15 AM

Ahh my friend but the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ is the absolute truth and the beginning of wisdom. I said the gospel not religion, religion is not faith but a practice in what you believe, even so atheistic belief is a religion. Even our faith is the faith of Jesus Christ not ours but a gift of God.

cannot tell if dumb or trolling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:29 AM

View Postfrankdavidmartinez, on 01 April 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

religion is not faith atheistic belief is a religion.

Nope. Wrong.
The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system, but religion differs from private belief in that it has a public aspect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion
That's the trouble with believing stuff. You stop checking the facts and say things that make people laugh at you.

View Postfrankdavidmartinez, on 01 April 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

religion is not faith but a practice in what you believe,

So you believe:
- that a man walked around a little over 2,000 years ago bringing dead people (after 3 days in desert heat - the putrefaction must have been advanced) back to life
- that there is a force that intervenes at will in the world we live in and sometimes chooses to do things like cure cancer but also chooses sometimes to let innocent young children die of filthy diseases in agony.
- a whole range of other really, really unpleasant and unlikely things.

If that's what you believe then keep your distance from me. I don't believe that some supernatural being chooses who wins the lottery and who dies of agonising cancer, who the next victim of a sadistic serial rapist/murderer is, or, worse, chooses to let those things happen even though they could prevent it with trivial effort.

Again if you believe those things then stay away from me and keep your zany beliefs to yourself. As soon as these weird ideas are kept private religion will die away, see definition of need for the public aspect above, and we can stop hoping that a incredibly lazy imaginary friend will occasionally help 1 or 2 people while leaving millions to live in and die in suffering, indignity and ignorance.

When you have seen a young child die in agony in front of you then listening to someone claim the proof of their imaginary friend is that their imaginary friend granted them a miracle by curing their limp will make you want to puke. But I really don't care what you choose to believe about imaginary friends so long as you keep it private. As soon as you tell anyone else that you have an imaginary friend you are, automatically, a religious extremist spreading a belief in something that by your own definition you should tell no one else about.

So choose what you want to do and do it. You can't have it both ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »