• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 7299 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

How have you shocked your teacher?

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Simple enough, I'm just curious to see how other people have shocked their teachers either by turning in some astounding project or by other means.

Spring 2010 I walked into my very first college programming class. It was a C++ class at my community college. At the end of the class I waiting until everyone left and then asked my teacher about programming with TAPI in C++. I blew him away with my thoughts for a TAPI programming project. He told me that I may not learn anything like that even while I'm in college.

That's pretty much all I've done to shock a teacher. So what's your story?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How have you shocked your teacher?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How have you shocked your teacher?

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Moved to Student Campus. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

What is TAPI
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

I kinda showed up once in dev class. Most boring 20min of my life...But before I left, 30min early e asked me..."Will we have the pleasure to see you again next week M.John?...(I haven't seen him in 4weeks)"...
Kidding aside...Once my dev teacher gave us a few tasks and 20min later walked on me to see how I was going and finally I ended up showing him some of my projects...in the end he said to me.."come back in 4 weeks"..lol..not but he sended me home 4hours earlie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

One day after the first lecture of c++ I told the teacher: We have lost our classmate, our teacher gets shock and said: who? I told him <someone> he didnt understand any thing today!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

View Postsmohd, on 01 April 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

What is TAPI

Take a look at this. It gives you a good definition of TAPI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

Not much, but my extensive research of the Java API and experience with the language in general impressed my prof in the fall. I'm not even that good. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Teacher gave me the opportunity to do a lecture, and I did a full 3 hour lecture on botnets and remote administration, history, future, and modern uses as well as some examples we played with in the lab... He makes references to me being evil on a regular basis :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

I have shown her my penis once...Now she thinks i'm a black guy with vitilitego, and my father is a horse... But i can guarantee she was shocked ;)

Now going to serious stuff, in any other class except programming and maths i suck hardcore (and in maths i'm mediocre... ), so no chance of any surpsising academic discovery over there. But once (before the teacher found out that i study at home, i mean, she thought that all i knew comes from class) the teatcher gave us a problem that sounded like this: "Find out if a number is multiple of three, without using % ". She expected that every kid will add up the numbers (the divisibility criteria for 3) and then use % on the sum of the numbers ( yeah, kinda lame), but i made a function that adds the numbers of the number, than adds the numbers of the number formed by the sum of the entered number's numbers, and so on, untill you got a sum smaller than 10, then put a switch-case and checked if it's 3,6,9 (basically applying the criteria of divisibility of 3 ). She was kinda amazed... (her jaw didn't drop, and no siliva was dripping from her mouth, but she said something like "Hehe, i didn't expect this from this stupid kid :)) ".

This post has been edited by Patrunjel: 02 April 2011 - 02:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

They didn't have tasers when I was in school...so no.

As an aside, "a 3 hour lecture"? Really? What school has any class that lasts 3 hours?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostCraig328, on 04 April 2011 - 06:49 AM, said:

They didn't have tasers when I was in school...so no.

As an aside, "a 3 hour lecture"? Really? What school has any class that lasts 3 hours?

At my school most classes are 3 hour lectures...its that me (a second year student at the time) got up and jumped into a subject so much that I produced 3 hours worth of content...which I understand now was an expected 15 minutes.

:P Its not like shock and awe more wow this kid is really into this stuff...shit I didn't know half of what he just lectured about...epic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

My first semester of college I was required by some stupid paperwork to take College Algebra, despite my already taking Trig and basic Calc in high school. Long story for their bureaucratic reason why, and here I am in a pointless class (step one in my trip down 'college is useless for me'... that is for me, not everyone).

First day of class the professor is yammering on about random nonsense that I slept through. She quickly got unnerved by the shaggy haired, tattooed, stinking of booze kid in the front row sleeping through the lesson. So she wakes me with an oral pop quiz in front of the class in an attempt to shame me before my peers.

Didn't pan out the way expected and she was asking me what I was doing in the class. I explained the long story about why, and what my formal education consists of, as well as what my didactic education consists of.

"Yeah, you can go home... come back for the final exam."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

One time in a class I can't remember (and it was just 2 years ago), but close to the end we had an introduction to the concept of programming. Everyone was all excited and stuff until the homework came. Unfortunately I forgot to do the assignment the next class and I was called up to the board to write what I did. I literally read the problem in the 20 seconds I snailed my way up to the board and was like you can't be serious. The teacher was like, "WHere is your exercise book?" and I said, "No sense walking with it if I can't use it". I started writing away at the board then eased back to see my work. The teacher was wow I'm impressed. But now looking back on that code it was just a few IF statements but the logic used was what got the teacher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

In the beginning of this year:
Had a whole week to photoshop two candy bar pictures into some weird new name. I chose kitkat and Crunch. Finished both (KitKat -> KittyCat, Crunch -> Much) within one class period (30 minutes).

We also had some other random photoshop where I had to replace an object. Completed 5 different pictures before the class had one done.

My teacher said that because I already understand the material for the year, I can chose my own assignments. Right now I'm working on a 3d version of my school in Blender (all I need is to texture it).

She was also surprised when I got past the firewall and visited facebook on the computers. That has to be my victory of the year, even though the school found out and patched it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

I bought a domain name for one of my projects and set the whole thing up on a live server. To demonstrate I took my 3g card with me connected to the internet and showed him how it works. He was not only shocked but so jealous you could see it on his face, that he failed me(he used to be an ex student).

At the start of this semester he started off with a lecture for that same subject with a speech saying he encourages us to get creative and innovative etc, felt like it was geared towards me (maybe he felt bad about what he did).... :censored: him Im doing something lame this semester that is on his level of understanding so he can just pass me and I get over his subject.

Not to say that my project was perfect it ran and it worked well with what it did but some of its features were incomplete, still he could have passed me yet he decided a 48% was appropriate. :gun_bandana:

This post has been edited by RedRabbit: 09 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +