How have you shocked your teacher?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 8431 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How have you shocked your teacher?

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

In my high school courses, I taught one of my teachers how to link to a style sheet rather than writing it into the header of every HTML page (yeah, he was actually still writing it from scratch every time), and aced another course by showing the teacher projects I'd already done that fit the criteria of each assignment given, rather than actually doing any of the assignments. Basically, I got 100% to fool around on the internet for an hour every-other-day for an entire school year.

In first year of university, I surprised my "intro to computer design for engineering" prof by identifying a 555 Timer IC in the first lecture and giving a summary of its function and uses. When asked how I knew all that, I told her my high school electronics teacher used to flip to random pages of the IC Cookbook and challenge me to do x-task with whatever chip he'd come across, using only that random page as a reference. At one point this included breadboarding a circuit using a 556 that would make a 7-segment display count backwards indefinitely, without ever having used a 7-segment display before. I took 15 minutes. I was 16.

My engineering prof told me I would be terribly bored in her classes until 3rd year.

This post has been edited by JennaPeterson88: 11 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostJennaPeterson88, on 12 April 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

In first year of university, I surprised my "intro to computer design for engineering" prof by identifying a 555 Timer IC in the first lecture and giving a summary of its function and uses. When asked how I knew all that, I told her my high school electronics teacher used to flip to random pages of the IC Cookbook and challenge me to do x-task with whatever chip he'd come across, using only that random page as a reference. At one point this included breadboarding a circuit using a 556 that would make a 7-segment display count backwards indefinitely, without ever having used a 7-segment display before. I took 15 minutes. I was 16.

Oh man, I love stories like this. <3 People are all like "lol a girl playing with chips and breadboards?!" <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:12 AM

I showed up to class.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

a few years ago I made a small little app that checks the time stamp of a 5kb text file over a network every 5 minutes. and if the file was more recent than the local file it copied it.

my teacher asked me if it didn't use too much network traffic. I just said "it's a check on a time stamp... every 5 minutes.. I think the network will be ok.". she nodded enthusiastically and made a note about how I managed to keep network traffic to a minimum.

Just wanted to point out that if your teacher is incompetent enough it becomes exponentially easier to impress them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PostBrewer, on 12 April 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

I showed up to class and didn't fall asleep.

this
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

My first programming course and the first class of that course (I skipped the first year of programming courses so it was something like advanced object oriented not just an intro class) my teacher gave us a sheet with a program we needed to write and so I wrote it and submitted it during class figuring I'd be entering my college career an over achiever. It was a 4 hour class so I had some time. An email notification popped up on his screen when I sent it and the professor decided to take a break from the lecture and read his email. Then he thanked me for submitting it so early but that if I'd been paying attention I would have realized that it was the final project and was due in 6 weeks.

AND

Same class first test I finished it in about 20-30minutes walked up and turned it in. Everyone in the class was giving me dirty looks. As I walked out someone else was walking in and asked me how is it? I told him it was cake and the whole class heard me. I found out the next week I got a 100 the next highest grade was a 40.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

It seems to me that most teachers in the Computer Science departments at my school expect their students to know only a menial bit more than how to turn a computer on. Every time myself or any of my class mates exhibit the slightest clue to the class concepts then the teachers generally act utterly flabbergasted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

I used ternary operators about 5-6 branches deep in the first week of programming in C#.

I made a professional class design for a web administration class full of programmers who are less than artistically inclined.

I ranked 2nd in state in web design the year after I started learning it. (subsequently 2nd and 1st the next 2 years)

I made an underground network in Business computers running from my linux laptop I had stashed under my desk. Much Halo was played that summer.

I used SSH and a custom proxy to bypass my schools firewall at 14.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Handing in a 1200 line program the day after it was assigned, with the deadline was 4 weeks down the road and get 110% on it when he marked it. He said, "You have a promising career in computer science."
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostLemur, on 07 May 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

I used ternary operators about 5-6 branches deep in the first week of programming in C#.

I'll branch my ternary operators in you about 5-6 deep. >_<
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 07 May 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 07 May 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

I'll branch my ternary operators in you about 5-6 deep. >_<

...I'm pretty sure that'd be my job.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Well I'm only 13. But last year I started using proxies in my school when I was 12 and I only got caught by the admin because of a tattle tell. Now I haven't been caught yet but I run my own password protected proxy on my own web server. Just modified the script to require a little authentication. But probably everything I've done this year helping my schools tech admin has impressed her. It's one of my electives and I'm the only one in there so I sometimes just talk for 20 minutes about stuff. I can't wait for next year when I get to take AP Computer Science.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

My sophomore year of High School we were allowed into an alternative science class known as IED, the teacher was close to retirement and as such gave next to no homework and didn't care about anything whatsoever.

This was on the most powerful computers in the entire school district at the time. We were all techies that never had enough time to read anything. We all learned the basics of hacking and exploiting novell in that class to such an extent that when we graduated the tech admins had people always watching over our shoulders.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

I shocked one of my teachers by implementing the A* search algorithm before he taught the class. For some reason, he considered it complex enough I shouldn't be able to do it without formal teaching.

I blew another one of my teachers away when I turned in my end of semester project to him. As the entire course was simply "find someone who needs some software, and make it", normally students turned in subpar work, like an Access database or something like that, but I turned in a huge genealogy and tracking system for cattle backed by SQLite using Qt. Apparently it was something he'd never seen before, and said "it was refreshing to see someone turn in such a professional piece of software".

Needless to say, both made me feel pretty good about myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

well, i haven't had a chance to shock anyone that actually knows what the fuck im talking about but i took te AP computer science test without any formal AP class. i had an hour and 45m to to the free response, when i was done i looked up and asked the instructor how much time i had left. she replied "a little under and hour, about 55 minutes". i explained i was done; she puzzled for bit and said "are you sure?".

there is also a sub that i like to talk to when i get the chance, he teaches data-structures and algorithms at the local college but subs at my school often as well. he was shocked that i knew even an iota about programing, every time i have a bit of a challenge in a project i consult him just so we can talk. i hate never being able to talk to anyone around me about what fascinates me most :(

I also plan to turn in a ridiculously overdone project for my first assignment in college, just a plan however...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +