• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 8524 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How have you shocked your teacher?

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

In my IT support classes I often tell the teacher things that he doesn't know. He's asked me to be a professional student so I'll stay in his class.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

My teacher couldn't get his PC to POST, and he couldn't diagnose a fault because he didn't have a motherboard speaker for his system (I'm pretty sure he inadvertently threw it away, as he didn't appear to know what one is.)

I suggested that he bring it in to school, the next week he did; and I diagnosed the fault, in front of him, in about 10 minutes.

He was using two completely different brands of RAM - with different speeds and latencies - and didn't seem to realise the conflict it was causing. He also had a faulty DIM... he seemed more relieved than shocked lol... ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:26 AM

Freshman year we were learning matlab and they gave us the task of creating a game using the built in gui functionality of it. I ended up creating this game using sound and pictures and graphics where as most people did simple question games. Now I work for them as an Undergrad TA helping students in the class and office hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

My school has two programming teachers. Both also teach math classes, one teaches Intro to Programming, the other teaches both Intro and Data Structures. I had the one who teaches only intro as my Algebra 2 teacher sophomore year, and was having trouble understanding operator overloading. One day, I asked him a question before class, and he was amazed that operator overloading was even possible. THAT inspired confidence in the intro class, which I had been planning on taking as a Junior (the first year you can take it).

On a related note, I met with the other teacher, who's really awesome, about skipping intro and going right to Data Structures. I talked to him for five minutes, and he decided I was somewhere in the middle of the Structs class. I spent that whole year giving him assignments almost right away, and WAY more in-depth that he wanted, and ended with a 100%. He signed my request to come back and do a "game design independent study" right away.

I basically have a story for every year apart from Freshman...this year, I've hung out in the Data Structures class for my independent study. I haven't done much game-making, but I work with the other students to help them understand things, or fix bugs, and in 15 minutes helped one person understand procedural vs. object-oriented code. Delude has stopped wondering what I'm up to, he usually just says "OK, show me something cool. Alright, 100%."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

I had a tendency to not go to class very often. The lectures just bored me to bits, so I stayed in my dorm room and played video games (hmm, now I'm not at school anymore... what happened?!). One day I decided to go in, and to make sure I was up to par I did a quick glance through the text book. Prof asks a question, I answer, and she replies with "Wow, didn't expect you to know that"... lol?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

Last semester we had OOP in Java, but I attended only one class talking about applets and one tutorial session and did a question for fellow students. Before the final result, my Lecturer came and asked me in front of other students: "Did we make the paper together?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

I was on artificial intelligence class, and I was reading a Czech text. Since I am a Hungarian living in Romania, the teacher was quite shocked when he saw I understand a completely foreign language, and when he heard I learned it all by myself, he was even more surprised.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I can tell you from a teaching point of view what would have impressed me. Turn in all of your work completed and on time! Bonus points for no whining.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Implementing features to my project in 3 days when i had 3 weeks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +