1 Replies - 539 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2011 - 01:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++0x threads?

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have a question regarding the c++0x standard threads.Can they be used at the moment (in vc++ 2010)? I see people providing tutorials on how to use them, but im a bit confused if the library can actually be used atm. I know you can use things like "auto" in vc++, so i thought i'd ask :\.

If not, can someone point me in the right direction? I just want to learn about threads, and not have to learn worry about platforms :\.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++0x threads?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++0x threads?

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

Microsoft haven't released a C++0x-feature-complete implementation of Visual Studio yet. The threading library is one of a number of features which are missing (Partly because MS didn't have time to do everything and wanted to get VS2010 out of the door).

If you'd like a portable threading library, then have a look at Boost.Thread. The C++0x Thread library will be simpler than the boost library (this is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective). There are some similarities but unlike the TR1 additions, C++0x hasn't simply copied an existing Boost library; C++0x threads are a bit different.

Otherwise, the concepts involved in multithreading (avoiding deadlocks, avoiding race conditions, waiting for events, etc) are somewhat platform-neutral, even if the libraries which implement the various mechanisms are different. If you just want to learn about multi-threading then any library, whether its platform specific or not, should be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1