Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 6231 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2011 - 08:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

How did you learn WPF?

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hi all,

Recently I've been trying to teach myself WPF by watching youtube videos, the wpftutorial website and reading through WPF Unleashed.
The problem is, my mind is blown.
And not in the good sense.
For example, I'm really struggling to understand most of the concepts like dependency properties.
I've read up on it a lot before moving onto the next concept, but I still don't understand it :(
It might be because I'm not naturally smart unlike most programmers, but I have a genuine interest in the field and that's what is keeping me going.
I just don't know how else I can learn about WPF that will help me understand what's going on, videos help me the most as I'm a visual person.
But there isn't really a good series of WPF tutorials out there, and the one I found only has around 10 parts so it doesn't cover much.

So my question is, what is the best way for someone in my situation to learn WPF?
How did you learn it?
Is what I'm going through a common thing, or am I just struggling at something everyone here finds easy?

Thank you for your time :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How did you learn WPF?

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How did you learn WPF?

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

try MSDN,may be it will help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

View Postsmohd, on 02 April 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

try MSDN,may be it will help

I tried MSDN :/
It's usually the first or second place I go for information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Did you follow that link? then you get nothing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm actually beginning to think they may have designed WPF with obfuscation in mind. I think MS is getting loads of kick backs from training courses and books on the material, it truly is uniquely challenging to learn.

On a similar vein, I wonder if WPF was meant to be used mostly with Expression Blend ($599 USD). WPF certainly doesn't work in a user friendly fashion in Visual Studio alone.

This would explain the material insufficiencies riddled through out the package such as the button.HighlightColor and xaml commenting.

BUT, on the other hand... Making visuals presentable has never really been that simple of a task, I mean, look at most java apps for instance. They usually look like they were compiled for a macintosh built just after the cold war, so, meh~

Oh, and employment outlooks may improve if you follow globalization, but you need to be in teh wealth on the win side I think for it to really count (unless you're familiar with torrents, which have what I consider to be a disappointingly sparse amount of material on the WPF problem).

Oh, also, I'm making some "progress," I have decided to do my next big project in wpf all the way, and so it's kind of forcing me to figure things out. It looks supre shiny right now :smile2:

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 02 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

You don't need Expressions Blend to create controls or even styles for that matter.
I have never used it and I'm able to achieve what I want...

I have to agree with you on the point that the Design editor in Visual Studio is not very helpful. TBH, I only use it to click on the item I want to work with so that when I switch to the XAML the element is highlight for me.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than keep working with the technology to learn it...it gets easier.

-Frinny
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

I've actually never had a problem with the WPF designer in VS2010. It's not as great as Blend, but I've never had a problem.

But I'm with , the more you work with a technology, the better you become at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 04 April 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

I've actually never had a problem with the WPF designer in VS2010. It's not as great as Blend, but I've never had a problem.

But I'm with , the more you work with a technology, the better you become at it.

My problem with VS2010 designer for WPF is the window sizing issue. I noticed sometimes when I test a design in Blend (from Dreamspark) and then put it back into VS some of the elements seem cut offat the bottom but when I compile and test it the interface looks perfect, but yet if done in VS alone it comes out wrong.

I learned WPF both from my own experimentation AND the book Pro WPF using C# 2010 by Apress books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hi
I have just joined LearnDevNow.com
as having same problem been using win forms wpf hard to grasp
lots of basic tutorials but real world apps different
j
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Don't feel bad, WPF does have a steep learning curve. And the steepest part is at the beginning. The more you use it, the easier it becomes.

I've been using WPF 4 Unleashed, and it explains the nuts and bolts really well. I also lucked out in WPF. Our current project is bigger than anything we've done before, so we sought the advice of an outside contractor. They suggested the entire GUI be in WPF. The price to develop the entire app was too high, but we did pay for them to lay the foundation. They designed the first couple of "pages" the user uses. I was then able to use that as the basis for the rest of the app.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1