• +
  • Last »

61 Replies - 3532 Views - Last Post: 18 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

The Problem With Prayer

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

A television evangelist accused of causing her brother's death by convincing him prayer alone would cure his cancer is being sued by relatives.

A lawsuit claims Darlene Bishop persuaded Darrel 'Wayne' Perry to rely on prayer rather than radiation treatment and chemotherapy.

Full Story: http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

I don't want this to turn in to some radical religious debate, but I did want to point out that relying soley on your faith to cure cancer just seems dumb. Thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Problem With Prayer

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Problem With Prayer

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

I'm completely non-religious myself, so have nothing to offer in the way of a cogent argument for or against the power of prayer, but the old adage 'God helps those who help themselves' comes to mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:18 AM

It never gets old.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Firstly . . . . I am a left-wing, liberal Christian, yet one who believes in the power of God and the power of prayer. I also live in the UK, so am quite apart from some of the stuff that goes on in the states and thus not acquainted with its ways.

I would agree with you that relying on just prayer to cure cancer is rather stupid, and actually, I would personally say, rather arrogant. I think it is stupid not to put trust and faith in modern medical science and the skill of doctors, because I think God works just as much through the doctors, if not more so, than through miraculous prayers and other miracles. Expecting Him solely to use the latter is experience seeking, and risks trying to pigeon hole God.

Anyway, just my $0.02 in agreement - I think relying on faith without medical science is silly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

I'm pretty religious. I've been to a messed up church and a couple "prophet" events. It's amazing what is said and done at these things. Back in the day I'd get pretty riled up about it, I've shouted at a pastor in the midst of people and stuff. Now I am more caloused to it than anything. But like that verse says when Chris's Benny Hinn video comes up about a wolf in sheeps clothing, it's very accurate. It's amazing how much people rely on a man's word.

As for healing stuff. I don't deny God heals, but God also says don't be stupid about situations. I believe God made our bodies repairable by human hands for a reason. Just because someone says you don't need cancer treated doesn't mean you can disregard the fact you have cancer. It'd be similar to if a "prohpet" told someone to levitate because their car didn't run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

Television evalgenists most of the time are way off the deep end,

I've seen some research about the prayer being used to help heal, I'll see if I can dig those up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

I feel that faith in the sense of taking your mind off of your pain and having a positive outlook to help one's healing, being the absolutly non-religous being that i am, but relying on prayer or anything else to cure a disease such as cancer is crazy.
You've all seen the wicked scar i weild, I don't even have cancer, yet i would not be here without modern medicine and surgery!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

My dad is a Baptist Minister so I was brought up in a very religious household and have seen a lot of Christians get ill, some lived some died.

I think the general concensus is that refusing medical treatment is like testing God and that is just gambling with your life. If he wants you healed the chemo will work, if not it wont...there's no need to say "it's a miracle or nothing for me" because you will more than likely get the nothing for being silly about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

i think all forms of religion are stupid but for those who just believe in a higher power, more power to you but don't try preaching that crackpot bullshit onto us who don't. i don't believe in god but i'm not like most atheists where i say that there is no god, i simply, like the rest of humanity, just don't know if god exists and i've weighed the costs of believing in god and it simply isn't worth it.

and... i ran over a squirrel on the way home. pewnt
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

Religion is one of the greatest evils humans have to offer. I am astounded by it's force and destructive power. This death by faith is a small example. I am both fascinated by religious fanatics and afraid of them at the same time of their destructive force they wield. Religion can be used to control a massive amount of humans if you know how to apply corruption.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

being an anti-faith zealot is just as bad is being a faith based zealot. i just believe what i believe and leave it at that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

Ever hear of Deitists?
We believe that God created the Cosmos, then left it alone running on the rules of physics imposed. This has allowed, after 4.5 billion years, for a race of semi-intelegent creatures to evolve and contemplte the reality within which we find ourselves.
Are we given rules to follow? Only those of physics.

Is there a Deitic decree of how we should seek GOD, nope.

Do we need to do anything to find GOD, yes, become GODs.

Does God intervene in our lives, no, what would be the point, we would not strive to achieve GodHood ourselves if that was so.

Do we spread our beliefs and ask you to join our church? No, we have none. We simply believe as intelegent humans we should simply choose to do that which is right and to gain knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:50 AM

im with super.
i got my ideas and ill stick to em, without a desire to force anyone else, and a definite disliking for anyone pushing their different beliefs on me.

why can't we all just get along?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

thats what i tried to say but i was hungry
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:00 AM

i myself am not religious, but i don't have an issue with people who are religious. it's when they start killing/oppressing people because their god told them to that i start having problems.

and i also agree with sloth, being on either end of the faith spectrum is bad news, whether you're pro or anti faith. to rule one thing as true or false, 100%, is naive, and science has proven this many times over throughout history.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »