3 Replies - 820 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why a programmer?

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

Although I've been programming for some time, there are times when I ask myself this question:

Why am I a programmer? Or a programmer wanna-be?

Sometimes I just lose sight of the memory that ignite my passion towards programming,
and I feel so lost in life.

Could anyone please share their experiences, or just about what motivated their passion towards programming?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Why a programmer?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why a programmer?

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

Do you have this same apathy towards everything in your life?
Or are there other areas in which you don't have to search for a reason to pursue those interests? Photography, cooking, sewing, graphic arts... Are you constantly drawn to Discovery Health medical shows, instead of G4 techie programs?

Coding isn't for everyone. Its a weird mix of creativity with puzzle solving. Some people love accounting because it is black and red; the rules are always the same, it is steady and consistent. Some people prefer coding because they can make their own rules, color outside the lines with the big box of 225 crayons, and be gods of their own cyber-cosmos.

Forcing yourself to stay motivated using other people's reasons probably isn't the best course of action.

I don't have to force myself, or remind myself of reasons why I enjoy coding or photography or travel or shooting. I have no motivation for fishing. So I don't go buying a boat. :gunsmilie:

Most people see their job more than their spouse. So make sure you pick one of each that you really love without having to be reminded or forcing motivation and interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

POPULAR

While I admire Klingon's apparent undying dedication to his chosen field, I have to disagree with his assessment. Sometimes you DO need reminded why you love something.

Do you have a wife? Husband? BF/GF? Ever have one of those nights when they're laying next to you, drooling onto their pillow, snoring like a chainsaw, and you roll over and think to yourself, "what was I thinking?" In my personal romantic relationships, I've found that around the second and third year, all those little idiosyncracies I initially thought were cute or amusing were suddenly the bane of my existence and possibly detrimental to the relationship. Sometimes, my sudden loathing of my partner would lead to our inevitable demise. Other times, that partner would do something to unexpectedly remind me of why I was spending my nights next to them in the first place.

Same thing with my kids. I love my children more than life itself, but some days I have to sit back and question my decision. Why did I have them? Should I have had them? Was it the right decision for them? For me? With my kids, it's a little simpler though - a hug or a crayon scribbled picture of a thumb or a text message about moose wearing ice skates is all I need to remember why I love them so much.

And the same happens with my job. When I've spent weeks working on graphic design or months of data entry or day after day after day of minor content updates, I lose sight of why I do what I do. I start to get bitter and curmudgeonly - hating life, hating work, hating my office and my laptop and the phone system and the dusty collection of programming books on my shelf. Then something happens and I get a new project and I am elbows deep in beautiful, glorious code... and I remember why I'm here. I remember why I chose this profession. I remember why I busted by rump for years to get to where I am today. Because this is what I love, this is what I do, this is my idea of fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

Thank to both of you...

After a day being a reckless guy,
I have found back the passion, the strong feeling that pushed me into the streams of codes~ ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1