7 Replies - 506 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My course website doesn't look good

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

I made a mistake in the topic title.

The Topic Title is "My course website doesn't look good"

I have a course website hosted on 000webhost.com. I used only HTML. But now I want to use CSS and other styling tools. I want some body to locate me where I get some professional looking templates. And also I need an advice in website designing.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: My course website doesn't look good

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: My course website doesn't look good

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

Can you give a link to your current website?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Dont use templates :)

Try to use CSS and look at other sites , by inspecting their CSS with firebug or chromebug , and try to copy that into you own site.

If you want to use a template for fast development , you can get it here

http://www.freecsste.../css-templates/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

For a more Web 2.0 feel you'd want to implement Javascript(jQuery) into your site.

Personally because I already know how to make websites from scratch I don't. Instead I get a template and then implement dynamic and eye-catching styling to my liking using mostly jQuery. Until you know how to develop a site using CSS styles you shouldn't use templates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

No, avoid Jquery if the extent of your knowledge is HTML. That's like trying to play Van Halen's Eruption after you just learned a basic scale on guitar. Bad idea.

Second no; never, and I mean NEVER use a template. You don't learn like that and it looks bad. Learn the code the right way the first time so you don't have to relearn later with hoards of bad habits and nasty quirks. Learn the code or find a new interest because a "designer/developer" that doesn't know code is worthless in the long run.

Third, never self deprecate yourself no matter how bad your work is. It's one thing to acknowledge you need work but another to say it's horrible and the worst thing ever. If you keep that attitude you will always be at that level. Treat it as a learning step and move on past it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

*** Fixed Topic Title ***

The way that I started was not with templates, but with raw HTML in a raw text editor and trial and error (with references). It stinks for the first while, but after a little bit of practice, you should be able to whip up those stylesheets in no time at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

As with many things, practice makes perfection. They key to web development and programming in general is don't stop trying to improve yourself and learn new things.

I agree with Lemur though, you shouldn't be using templates to learn from. You only get to use those once you know what you're doing and need to optimize your work hours with billable hours so you can live. Not while you're learning the languages :)

Thats like saying you can fly a real plane when you've logged 10,000 on PS3's flight simulator. Not going to happen... The web development world is full of tips, tricks, shortcuts, code snippets. Just because the easy way out is their doesn't mean you will benefit from it. Most often times you won't. Smart developers learn from these, everything they can and how they can do it themselves, so they can better their skills.

Also, don't be scared to pay for some smaller, or hard to find resources to improve your learning. Sometimes the good stuff isn't free and you should recognize that to get a head and land those awesome design contracts you need to spend a little bit on bait to bring in "the big fish".

Hope that helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

There are some very good video tutorials on youtube maybe you'd want to check them out. Try thenewboston channel. Loads of stuff there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1