2 Replies - 704 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

QA Position

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

It seems the only way for me to get my foot in the door to gain experience is to take an entry level QA position.
Even that seems like a long shot.

I'm close to finishing at a 2 year with an Associates. This company is recruiting at my school and I've never given QA a close look.

My question is How hard would it be to segway from QA to a full developer position?
and
What exactly does QA entail? (I've heard a couple horror stories)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: QA Position

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: QA Position

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

The job I have now actually started me in a QA position. I'm currently fixing bugs in a in home application that tracks bugs in our other software. The QA position let me see what the screens look like and how it's set up.

For me QA was testing the bloody snot out of the applications we maintain, and report any bugs, errors, misspellings, and other flaws. I got to do some regression tests, which for me at least, were push every button on the screen to make sure that it worked. I didn't get into the more interesting tests though(stuff along the lines of figuring out big crashes, but I was a student QA, and didn't have the experience). I will say that it can get mind-numbingly boring, but I think that I was expecting more than was reasonable from it.

It is a student job mind you, and at my university, but it is a great learning experience. Besides if you know how to do heavy duty regression tests, it shows that you know the quality of code is needed, as well as common problems to look like. I'm glad I saw things from the testers side before I started coding.

Even if it's just an interim job until you can get a development job, it's worth it in my opinion. You may be bored as hell, but let that motivate you to network with some of the developers, and learn. Experience is experience, and if it's in your field and not in fast food, all the better.

EDIT: I felt that a definition is in order, just to cover my bases.
QA = Quality Assurance.

Hope this answers your quesitons.

This post has been edited by runfaster: 05 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: QA Position

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

runfaster made a very good answer to the question.

QA is certainly an alright starting point in the industry. You have an associates, you're a newb in the market, and QA will get you understanding the market more from a business and customer POV. It's also a great place for you to possibly show off some of your potential, but don't get cocky. There's a difference between suggesting what you think may be the problem, and insisting you know what the problem is.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1