6 Replies - 11537 Views - Last Post: 09 April 2011 - 04:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Software do I need to create C# applications?

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post, so here you go!

What software do I need to start learning C#?
I noticed in the Microsoft website there is a download for Visual Studio 2010 Professional and Visual Studio Express 2010.

What do I need to download?
Also it said that is free of charge as long as I register… is that right? Does the program expire later in 30 days or something like that?

I am aiming to learn C# to create Windows application, graphics, database manipulation, and web development
What do I need to download?

Thanks
neoBat

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Software do I need to create C# applications?

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Software do I need to create C# applications?

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

That software is what you need for C#. but what edition?This depends on you; if you have money to buy professional or ultimate key, then do it or you will have a 30 - 90 days trial of them. Otherwise download Express edition which is free.

And if you are a student, and your institute is known in dreamspark then you can download any of those edition for free. Or you can download Visual C# part only.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

C# is provided by Microsoft and yes you requir visual studio...

If you are a student you can get it for free either the pro version or the c# express version deppending on what you intend to do.

Damn it smohd you got it first...Even thoughthe've kinda the saime answer..lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Standard resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.

I am going to guess that you are trying to teach yourself C# without much guidance, a decent book or without knowing where to look. Sometimes just knowing where to look can make all the difference. Google is your friend.
Search with either "C#" or "MSDN" as the first word: "MSDN Picturebox", "C# Custom Events", "MSDN timer" etc.

But honestly, just typing away and seeing what pops up in Intellisense is going to make your self-education take 20 years. You can learn by trying to reverse engineer the language through banging on the keyboard experimentation - or you can learn by doing the tutorials and following a good "How to learn C#" book.

May I suggest picking up a basic C# introductory book? There are so many great "How do I build my first application" tutorials on the web... There are dozens of "Learn C# in 21 days", "My first C# program" type books at your local book seller or even public library.

C# resources. Start here
Intro to C# online tutorial then here...
C# control structures then here.
MSDN Beginner Developer video series
MSDN video on OOP principals, making classes, constructors, accessors and method overloading

The tutorials below walk through making an application including inheritance, custom events and custom controls.
Quick and easy custom events
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Passing values between forms/classes
Debugging tutorial
Working with environmental variables

Debugging tutorial
Debugging tips
Great debugging tips

Build a Program Now! in Visual C# by Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-2542-5
is a terrific book that has you build a Windows Forms application, a WPF app, a database application, your own web browser.

C# Cookbooks
Are a great place to get good code, broken down by need, written by coding professionals. You can use the code as-is, but take the time to actually study it. These professionals write in a certain style for a reason developed by years of experience and heartache.

Microsoft Visual Studio Tips, 251 ways to improve your productivity, Microsoft press, ISBN 0-7356-2640-5
Has many, many great, real-world tips that I use all the time.

Writing a text file is always one of the first things people want to do, in order to store data like high-scores, preferences and so on
Writing a text file tutorial.
Reading a text file tutorial.

These are just good every-day references to put in your bookmarks.
MSDN C# Developers Center with tutorials
Welcome to Visual Studio

Have you seen the 500+ MSDN Code Samples? They spent a lot of time creating samples and demos. It seems a shame to not use them.

Let me also throw in a couple tips:
  • You have to program as if everything breaks, nothing works, the cyberworld is not perfect, the attached hardware is flakey, the network is slow and unreliable, the harddrive is about to fail, every method will return an error and every user will do their best to break your software. Confirm everything. Range check every value. Make no assumptions or presumptions.
  • Take the extra 3 seconds to rename your controls each time you drag them onto a form. The default names of button1, button2... button54 aren't very helpful. If you rename them right away to something like btnOk, btnCancel, btnSend etc. it helps tremendously when you make the methods for them because they are named after the button by the designer.
    btnSend_Click(object sender, eventargs e) is a lot easier to maintain than button1_click(object sender, eventargs e)
  • You aren't paying for variable names by the byte. So instead of variables names of a, b, c go ahead and use meaningful names like Index, TimeOut, Row, Column and so on

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Inb4 people mentioning SharpDeveloper. This is a newbie, no need for him to use tools that might require manual tinkering...

You should use Visual Studio 2010. The basic is the Express Edition, you can download it here.
http://www.microsoft...-csharp-express

If you want to learn how to program in C# I recommend Head First C# as your starter book. It's fun, not boring and will makes things stick - guaranteed. I still remember quips from the book 3 years later. That says something about it, no?

After that you might want to just code! Code and you'll learn, books are kind of boring, at least in my opinion reference books are utterly draining. Hehe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:17 AM

Hi, thank to all for replying to my question. and yes I am a newbie but the C# language but I have been a programmer for more than 20 years so I know more that the basics in programming. All I wanted to know is what software I need to start coding in C# not reference to the language. Although really helpful specially the one from tlhIn`toq , thanks a lot.

and thanks for letting me know that my options in terms of software.

thanks
neoBat

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 11 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

thanks for all this useful information!

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 11 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1