Can't... code for longer than 10 minutes?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2414 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Can't... code for longer than 10 minutes?

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

I think I have some sort of mental problem were I can't work on a program for longer than 10 minutes. I.E. I'll get the solution created, do a little bit of GUI and then when I'm half-way done with it, I scrap it.

I'm practically forcing myself to write code if I manage to stay in VS for longer than said amount of time.

This has been happening for the last couple of months and it only seems to be related to programming activities. Because of it, I haven't written a full program in those months.

What do you think is wrong with me and what should I do?

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 09 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can't... code for longer than 10 minutes?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can't... code for longer than 10 minutes?

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

You should go see a psychiatrist. jk lol :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

POPULAR

Wow.. that's a loaded question OP.

1. See a doctor.
2. Score some focus drugs.
3. Define what a "completed project" is and force yourself to meet that mile stone. Bask in the glory of that completed project and repeat.
4. Take a lap and then complete it. If you find yourself losing focus take another lap. Repeat.

Honestly I think it is an issue of not knowing what "complete" is. You don't have a defined goal or a defined 'stop' place. Start planning these out before you start and then you know when you are done (and not frittering away time on an ephemeral milestone - trust me you'll get enough of those in the corporate work place).
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Take breaks. If you feel like your getting stuck, do something fun and relaxing. Then go back to programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 April 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

Wow.. that's a loaded question OP.

1. See a doctor.
2. Score some focus drugs.
3. Define what a "completed project" is and force yourself to meet that mile stone. Bask in the glory of that completed project and repeat.
4. Take a lap and then complete it. If you find yourself losing focus take another lap. Repeat.

Honestly I think it is an issue of not knowing what "complete" is. You don't have a defined goal or a defined 'stop' place. Start planning these out before you start and then you know when you are done (and not frittering away time on an ephemeral milestone - trust me you'll get enough of those in the corporate work place).

Ironically, I used to take focus drugs because I used to have a daydreaming problem. It is not a matter of focusing, I have no distractions. I just can't make myself do it. Feels like this:
    First few minutes: "Give it a try. Sounds fun!"
    A few minutes after: "Oh, you can't do that. This is boring, etc"

View Postcreativecoding, on 09 April 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

Take breaks. If you feel like your getting stuck, do something fun and relaxing. Then go back to programming.

I take VERY long breaks. I am just barely able to write 5-line code snippets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

This is not unheard of, I know many coders who kind of float around and do half a project then lose interest and move onto something else. Shoot I've read lots of posts on these forums saying the same thing. I tend to do the same on personal projects, I have a few partially completed right now and just haven't had the time or inclination to finish them.

These are personal projects I am talking about, not work related. If this problem is affecting your job then you should do as says and see a professional.

There is also the possibility that you are just getting bored with what you are doing. Maybe try taking new approaches to your code, do things in a way that challenges you and keeps you engaged.

That's what I would do, hope things work out for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Protip: Make something your interested in, you'll tend to stay more focused. Works for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

I think boredom is the key issue here. Often by the time you're halfway through the code, you've probably got the solution 95% licked, mentally, so finishing it off becomes a formality.
I guess for a lot of people the satisfaction of seeing it finished and working is enough to keep them motivated until the end, in your case perhaps you just lose interest once you feel that the project no longer presents any challenges to you?
For me, that feeling usually comes once I am code complete and realize that now I have to write documentation, or do testing, or any of the other mundane tasks that go along with finishing a project.
If you want to keep doing what you're doing, you need to find a way to push through it. Any job, regardless of what it is, will have some measure of tedium to it, you just need to figure out what works for you and get it done.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

Code small, awesome apps that don't take too long. That way you can code what you want, learn something cool, and not get too distracted to lose focus. For example, instead of trying to build an IDE, try to build a text editor, or a syntax highlighter, or a code completer. You don't even have to put those parts together. Just, as a hobby, do that until you have enough parts to do what you need with.

If you're paid, then that in itself should be the impetus.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

This may be something that nobody else has mentioned yet, but perhaps programming isn't for you. Just because you're good at it doesn't mean that you have to like it or do it. If you're getting to the point where you can't spend much time on it, then you need to ask yourself if you simply don't want to program anymore. If it's your job, it might be a little more complicated than that, but if not...there's nothing stopping you from stepping away from the IDE for two weeks, then seeing if you miss it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

You've been writing C#/VB.NET almost exclusively for a fairly long time now. Maybe you're just getting bored with the same languages all the time? Try something new and exciting. Something you've never tried before. There are a kazillion interesting languages out there beyond visual studio. Treat yourself to an adventure.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

Go live under a bridge for a month or so. That should properly motivate you to complete your projects.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

View PostAmrykid, on 09 April 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

I think I have some sort of mental problem were I can't work on a program for longer than 10 minutes. I.E. I'll get the solution created, do a little bit of GUI and then when I'm half-way done with it, I scrap it.

I'm practically forcing myself to write code if I manage to stay in VS for longer than said amount of time.

This has been happening for the last couple of months and it only seems to be related to programming activities. Because of it, I haven't written a full program in those months.

What do you think is wrong with me and what should I do?

Maybe you need a break.Try something new that's different from programming to clear your mind..then come back when you feel like your ready to program again. works for me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

im a big believer in what Raynes said. i always come back to C++ and Lua but i love to try out new languages and concepts.

a few interesting languages to learn

Lua - a simple and fast scripting language notable for it's "table" type

Lisp - a EXTREMELY interesting language with it's notable "list" type

assembly - doesn't really matter what architecture, it helps you understand a LOT of things better however. you will be a better programer after you start to understand some form of assembly

D - if you come from a C++ or Java(or maybe C#) background, D can be interesting language to look at. it's a systems level language that allows all the low level stuff C++ allows for (arguably more) yet most of the higher level features of Java or C#(most, not all).

web programing is always kinda neat to look into as well, not a big fan of it but i have done it never the less.

languages that really bend your way of thinking like Lisp and Assembly can really help your programing skills.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 13 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

View Postishkabible, on 13 April 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

im a big believer in what Raynes said. i always come back to C++ and Lua but i love to try out new languages and concepts.

a few interesting languages to learn

Lua - a simple and fast scripting language notable for it's "table" type

Lisp - a EXTREMELY interesting language with it's notable "list" type

assembly - doesn't really matter what architecture, it helps you understand a LOT of things better however. you will be a better programer after you start to understand some form of assembly

D - if you come from a C++ or Java(or maybe C#) background, D can be interesting language to look at. it's a systems level language that allows all the low level stuff C++ allows for (arguably more) yet most of the higher level features of Java or C#(most, not all).

web programing is always kinda neat to look into as well, not a big fan of it but i have done it never the less.

languages that really bend your way of thinking like Lisp and Assembly can really help your programing skills.

I agree with all this and I think you left a language out: Haskell. It is a pure functional language. You might find yourself getting more done without having to worry about syntax and typecasting as much with regular languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +