5 Replies - 550 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Just finished a site please review

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

I just finished a site for my mother its a flash based site. written with AS3 images are imported using XML, fonts are used with CSS and just a little bit of HTML to improt the SWF. i did the same to make my site which is http://www.blaxarhavenprod.com anyways the site id like for you guys to check out to see how i did is http://www.photoinspirations.net

thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Just finished a site please review

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Re: Just finished a site please review

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

I'm not a fan of the italic font. There are too many changes in typography accross the site. One minute it's an italic serif font, then a block arial, then a handwriting font. I'd try and increase the consistency with the font choice.

When viewing photos there is a weird 50% opacity black rectangle, which is about half the size of the actual picture which appears depending on where the mouse is? Not sure why that would be there as it seems to serve no function.

Also the light area at the bottom could be more of a smoother gradient.

Maybe the buttons at the top could be improved as well. They have a sort of arch through the middle which doesn't continue onto the next button. One side of the button is light and the other dark. Usually buttons flow onto the next button, with a continuing design.

Overall I like the animations and the layout. It's simple to navigate and has good user interaction; but it still has a fair bit of work to be done on it imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

View PostSlice, on 12 April 2011 - 02:12 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of the italic font. There are too many changes in typography accross the site. One minute it's an italic serif font, then a block arial, then a handwriting font. I'd try and increase the consistency with the font choice.

When viewing photos there is a weird 50% opacity black rectangle, which is about half the size of the actual picture which appears depending on where the mouse is? Not sure why that would be there as it seems to serve no function.

Also the light area at the bottom could be more of a smoother gradient.

Maybe the buttons at the top could be improved as well. They have a sort of arch through the middle which doesn't continue onto the next button. One side of the button is light and the other dark. Usually buttons flow onto the next button, with a continuing design.

Overall I like the animations and the layout. It's simple to navigate and has good user interaction; but it still has a fair bit of work to be done on it imo.

I thank you very much for the comments that will help me explain to my client about consistency. I tried to warn her about that although she figure it was more artistic. The buttons well they are instances in flash. I design one button and they will auto repeat each other by the amount of XML scripts are created for sections. The black box was originated for comments or details of the photos. But I will be removing that due to the fact that the client doesn't want to have details of each photo. I will take a look at the gradient at the bottom. It was placed there to give more of an appearance of a kind of a spot light shinning down. But i will clean that up. Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

You spelled progress wrong on your home page :P

This post has been edited by D.Mulroy: 13 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostD.Mulroy, on 13 April 2011 - 12:10 PM, said:

You spelled progress wrong on your home page :P

Thanks for the heads up. But the site that i was actually needing reviewd was the one i was creating for my mother who is getting into photography. its http;//www.photoinspirations.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yeah I know haha just thought I'd point that out :P

Anyways, for your mothers site I think that you should have some sort of way to scroll through the pictures once you bring them up (i.e. arrows on either side once it is enlarged to go from one to another) and also and easier method of exiting. It is a bit confusing how to get back to gallery once you bring one image up.

One other thing is the gradient at the bottom it doesn't mesh well with the top of the page. Try a linear gradient going from black to gray and repeating it horizontally, that may look better.

Other wise it's looking good! :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1