7 Replies - 1014 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Interview Advice

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hello all! I have an interview scheduled within the next week, and I was hoping to get some feedback on what to expect. I am currently still a student, and I won't graduate for another semester. The position I'm interviewing for is a Software Development Engineer in Test. I have had two phone interviews with them in the past couple weeks. The first with the recruiter, and another with a manager. The manager asked a couple basic technical questions, but nothing anyone with an understanding of programming wouldn't be able to answer. I have been told that the interview will be a little over an hour long, and I would meet with the recruiter, manager, and two team members. The team members won't be on the same team as me if I get the job. That team hasn't been fully constructed yet. The people I have talked to on the phone know that my experience is limited to basically school work, and I don't have any experience with testing. I have been taught the skills that they are looking for though, according to the job description. Does anyone have any experiences related to mine, or a general idea of what I can expect? I know there will be some technical questions, but they are aware of my background. I wouldn't think they would ask me questions that they know I can't possibly answer. Any feedback would help. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interview Advice

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interview Advice

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

Oddly - they might ask you questions they know you can't answer... to see how you react under pressure and how you can analysis and over come something that appears overwhelming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

Just out of curiousity, what were the questions they asked you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

@DbZ - Who?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

View PostDivideByZero, on 12 April 2011 - 01:40 PM, said:

They asked basic interview questions asking me to describe myself, what do I know about the company, where do you see myself in 5 years, etc. They asked me to describe some of my course projects. I was asked if I had any experience with unit testing in my courses, and why I think testing is important. Then they asked me to define what a classes and methods were. If I don't know that, I should quit right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

View Postt_furg, on 12 April 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Then they asked me to define what a classes and methods were. If I don't know that, I should quit right now.

Wow they asked that? :o I would have thought they'd expect you to know that and ask more complicated stuff like, "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

sounds like a basic entry-level interview, probably asked those over phone to weed out any of the crap. As you said, if you didn't know the answers to those you should quit right now. They probably feel the same way, and is why they brought you in for a face-face interview.

As for advise, this can be hard because different companies act a lot differently in the software industry. The industry scales from uber-relaxed to uber-strict. I've been on final interviews that were really just a meat and greet type thing to see if they'd just get along with me. I've been on others that were to grill me.

Now I've been told there's an art to interviews. But I've also been told there's an art to picking up women. And though I have missed a few pitches here and there, I've done well in both with out ever learning an art to either.

So instead I'll give the advise to an interview that'd I'd give for a beautiful woman.

Once they've got you in their bed, they're going to know how big it is anyways... might as well not lie about it beforehand.

Just be yourself, take each question and answer them honestly. Even the technical ones. Put your best effort in, but don't kill yourself pining over the question. React the way you would react to any of these problems if you'd seem them in the interview or if you'd seem them in the future. If you would ask for more info from your boss, then ask for more info from your interviewer.

If they don't like you based on that... then it wasn't meant to be.

View PostDivideByZero, on 12 April 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postt_furg, on 12 April 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Then they asked me to define what a classes and methods were. If I don't know that, I should quit right now.

Wow they asked that? :o I would have thought they'd expect you to know that and ask more complicated stuff like, "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?".

heh, I've been on interviews that didn't even ask that much.

I once took an interview where I brought up interfaces the guy didn't quiz me on them, but instead actually asked what they were!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

lordofduct, that may be some of the best advice I've ever received! You're right, no need to brag about something that I can't back up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1