How to use a MIDI with DirectX?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 4615 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2011 - 08:32 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: How to use a MIDI with DirectX?

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

This project that you've decided to take on is a little bit too difficult for you. The key to being a good programmer is finishing projects, not taking on difficult ones that you will never complete (at least for now). When you find that you have taken on a programming problem where, even after help and research, you still aren't getting anywhere then move on - it doesn't mean you are an incapable programmer, it just means that you don't have the foundation knowledge to get the task done.

To be honest with all the suggestions made, I'm baffled that at least one of them doesn't fulfill your needs. Remember with programming you have the choice of either coding around what is available or rolling your own solutions.

As you say, you are 15, I started programming when I was 17. Take your time and get the foundation work sorted in order to progress.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostButchDean, on 22 April 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

This project that you've decided to take on is a little bit too difficult for you. The key to being a good programmer is finishing projects, not taking on difficult ones that you will never complete (at least for now). When you find that you have taken on a programming problem where, even after help and research, you still aren't getting anywhere then move on - it doesn't mean you are an incapable programmer, it just means that you don't have the foundation knowledge to get the task done.

Actually, I keep on figuring out how to solve most of my problems in programming almost every day. It's not too difficult, only the audio is the difficult part. I can easily switch to WAVE files and have it work perfectly, though, if I so choose, thus leaving the rest of the way clear for now.

To be honest with all the suggestions made, I'm baffled that at least one of them doesn't fulfill your needs. Remember with programming you have the choice of either coding around what is available or rolling your own solutions.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. That paragraph should really be quoted.

As you say, you are 15, I started programming when I was 17. Take your time and get the foundation work sorted in order to progress.

Well, my replies are in bold again. Not as long as last time, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

View PostHeart said:

View PostButchDean, on 22 April 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

Actually, I keep on figuring out how to solve most of my problems in programming almost every day. It's not too difficult, only the audio is the difficult part. I can easily switch to WAVE files and have it work perfectly, though, if I so choose, thus leaving the rest of the way clear for now.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. That paragraph should really be quoted.

Well, my replies are in bold again. Not as long as last time, though.

Well, nearly solving all problems is a problem in itself. With programming you learn for solving problems and not 'nearly solving them'.

It's clear you have your own perceptions about programming and what is required to be labelled a good programmer. Yes you are learning as we all did and am still doing, but you really need to realize you limitations and that is solving a few exercises doesn't make you an above average programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

Not sure if you are still following this, but the most versatile means I have found for playing Midi is using DirectMusic. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported as part of DirectX. You need to download the August 2007 DirectX SDK, which is the last one that supports DirectMusic.

After that, take a look at this article. It's very helpful and provides code for you to simply play Midi files:

http://www.codeproje...spx?msg=1046562
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +