7 Replies - 952 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Networking Hardware to block a URL

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

I have a customer that has a request, it's really got me in a crunch. There is always something yet to be learned, & this is one of those situations where what I thought would work just simply does not.

The customer has an AT&T two wire router/modem. From there he has 3 machines in ports 1, 2, & 3, & the fourth (& final) port runs to a 16 port unmanaged netgear switch. He wants to be able to block anyone else (from the netgear switch) from accessing the admin url on the two wire (http://192.168.0.254) because of it's lack of security. It allows anyone to see who is online, their ip, their machine name, & access any file shares. The requirement is that this be done with a hardware device, & not a software patch.

My initial thought was to put in a 2nd router (netgear) off port four & feed this to the 16 port unmanaged switch. I went with the FVS318 because it does offer URL & keyword blocking/filtering. However even when I do a traceroute the traffic hits the netgear router, but still allows the traffic. I also tested this with facebook youtube, & paypal.

The AT&T 2 wire must stay in place & can not be switched out with just a modem. However I am open to ANY ideas & input.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Networking Hardware to block a URL

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Networking Hardware to block a URL

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

i dont have a 2wire modem but can you have the admin interface on a specific port, then block the port (using the dlink or 2wire if it can do it) that it is using? obviously not 80 otherwise it would block all regular internet traffic, but if you changed the admin port to say 8118 that would lower the chance that some other program needs to use that port. i'm kinda confused though why the dlink isn't blocking the traffic you are telling it to block. is there one of those time specific blocks? i know on my linksys/tomato firmware that there is the option to only block on certain days and times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

To do what you're asking, you'd need to add another hardware element.

You will need to add a dual homed firewall between the two wire modem and the netgear switch, blocking all traffic from the internal network adapter going to the IP address on port 80.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

My problem was that I was not using a cross over cable between the AT&T 2Wire router & the Netgear router's WAN port. 'Like' devices require cross over cables.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 April 2011 - 05:34 AM, said:

My problem was that I was not using a cross over cable between the AT&T 2Wire router & the Netgear router's WAN port. 'Like' devices require cross over cables.

Damn. I didn't think of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

That's strange. Most devices these days are auto-negotiate. Which will detect whether they need to configure as straight through or cross over. It's all done internally via the device.

At least it's all working for you. That's the main thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Set an Access Control List on the router to block traffic to that target IP from those computers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

maybe somthing along the line of taking out the switch box and replacing it with a router. Then configuring the at&t router to put the new router in a dmz zone.

or a firewall box
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1