8 Replies - 1697 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

programming career advice

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

okay so im new to the forum and i think this is the right place to post my question, i want to be a programmer.
Okay with that said i thot i could go get into computer science and earn a degree so i could work doing what i love, but recently i read that computer science isnt programming, and i knew this to a certain point but never knew it was just so diferent from my goal.

I know you can get a job without having to go to university being a programmer but if i wanna have a paper to back me up saying that in fact i do know what im claiming to know then what would be the definition of the carreer or course i would have to take?
how many years?
where to take it?
is it worth it?
should i just devour books and books about programming and learn as much about it as i can on my own and wing it?
freelancing can take care of my bills and stil make enough for something extra?
what would you do?
what have you done?

any advice on it or experience you guys can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: programming career advice

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: programming career advice

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

Going to university for a degree in Computer Science couldn't possibly hurt your chances of becoming a software developer. On average the degree will take 4 years and the university doesn't matter much. I recommend going to a state school, unless you can get into MIT or Stanford of course.

It would be best for you to go to school and read up on whatever you find interesting that you can't necessarily take a class on.

When you first start freelancing you will not even make enough money to cover your bills. It takes time to build up a reputation and thats if you're good. If you are just average then you might find it hard to keep a steady income as a freelancer.

Personally, I would go to school, do well, and get a job with a tech giant (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) after I graduated. (In fact, that is what I'm doing now)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

I've been to several schools through the years and it has been my experience that by your third year, you generally have the option to choose a concentration within the CS realm... or at least that's how it worked many moons ago when I was working on my undergrad. Two of my degrees are concentrated: one is a CS degree with a Programming (Application Development) concentration, the other is a CS degree with a Network Administration concentration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

ty for your answers, i do wanna work for a tech giant but thats just a second goal for me, i just wanna write code and make enough to make a living out of it and just have fun doing what i like,as for the school and carreer im still kinda confuse on what to take sence i dont know all the fields a programmer can do, i do know u can be a software developer, web developer but aside from that what else do you got? anyone can give me an answer to this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Software is everywhere, in cars, billboards, watches, phones. As IT slowly branches out into every little detail of our lives, coders and programmers are becoming more important.

There are fields of programming from Bioinformatics to AI developement, App design to the simple logic that makes a babys' interactive toy work.

There is a huge field of work out there for programmers of any and all skill levels, with or or without paperwork to show what they can do, but having a degree never hurts.

You can go and try to find some kind of apprenticeship and study part time if you like, which is what I am kind of doing.

It is a competitive field already, especially freelance, with people underbidding eachother regularly, which makes making money a little harder.

Whatever you choose though, I wish you all the luck in the world
, you go after your goals, but remember, you are the only person who will get you there or get in your way. Which it is is up to you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

View Postiniaes, on 14 April 2011 - 01:18 AM, said:

Software is everywhere, in cars, billboards, watches, phones. As IT slowly branches out into every little detail of our lives, coders and programmers are becoming more important.

There are fields of programming from Bioinformatics to AI developement, App design to the simple logic that makes a babys' interactive toy work.

There is a huge field of work out there for programmers of any and all skill levels, with or or without paperwork to show what they can do, but having a degree never hurts.

You can go and try to find some kind of apprenticeship and study part time if you like, which is what I am kind of doing.

It is a competitive field already, especially freelance, with people underbidding eachother regularly, which makes making money a little harder.

Whatever you choose though, I wish you all the luck in the world
, you go after your goals, but remember, you are the only person who will get you there or get in your way. Which it is is up to you :)

ty for the coment, and im starting up with PHP, any tips on it? im planing on moving to LA and finding a job there, any advice?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

get zend certified. I live in LA too... I look up jobs for web programmers and an experienced PHP developer makes BANK. 6 figures easy. But you can't just know PHP- XML, CSS, and Javascript all play a role in web development.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

ty everyone for the coments and answers, you have been very helpfull, is there a way to chat with people who do the same i want? like msn, skype or something like that? and how do i get zend certify?

EDIT: nevermind found out how to get it allready lol

This post has been edited by 1337: 15 April 2011 - 11:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

there is a whole forum dedicated to just PHP. ask questions and hang out in there.

-good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1