3 Replies - 621 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Working For A Tech Giant with A Degree From the University of Nowhere

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

We all know that a Computer Science degree from a school like Stanford gives you a good chance at getting a job as a software developer for a tech giant like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, or Facebook.

How do you get a job with one of these companies if you went to the University of Nowhere though?

I go to Memorial University of Newfoundland, which most people on these forums (and most recruiters for that matter) have never heard of. What could I do to make my application stand out from the rest of the pack? Its fairly likely that I won't meet anyone who works at these companies before I graduate removing submitting my application through someone who already works there impossible.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Working For A Tech Giant with A Degree From the University of Nowhere

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Working For A Tech Giant with A Degree From the University of Nowhere

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

Either you have to have a contact somewhere in the company or you have to prove it on your Resume. I'd make some program like your own version of Microsoft word or your own operating system. (All your own code done by yourself.) Send it with your resume or email a few high level executives until somebody notices it. If it is good then you are in. Anything below average and you won't get in.

The point is you have to show somebody you are worth it and they have to believe you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

What are some good software development conferences? I hear that conferences are about the best way to network.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

From my experience the alma mater doesn`t matter that much - what counts is how you perform on the interview itself. As it has been suggested try to work on some projects to make your cv stand out just enough to be called for an interview. But anyway dude you are young and even if you find a job for a small company if you work hard and with passion without a doubt somewhere down the line you will have your change to work for a big company.

This post has been edited by muballitmitte: 14 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1