7 Replies - 743 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Elective Courses

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

I've taken some time to look over my options for a degree and maybe its just the fact that I got raped by two math exams today, but I now have no desire to double major or even minor in Math. Assuming I'll be in school for 4 more years I have 10 slots open for electives after taking all of the courses I need and a few extra CS courses.

What subjects would you recommend I take elective courses in? Why do you recommend these?

I think I might take a few history, I've also considered Political Science and Psychology courses.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Elective Courses

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Elective Courses

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

I only had a few electives that I had the choice of on my degree plan, but I mostly picked history and science courses because I enjoy them. I would just pick something you have interest in or know you like. It makes the class more enjoyable and should be an easy grade. You can always add more tech courses if you have the option but my feeeling with that was I didn't want to get burnt out. Yes I enjoy the tech stuff but I also have other interests and being well rounded never hurt anyone. Just pick what you like and you can't go wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

heh...

funnny thing is I was going to say take some extra math courses. That's what I did with my electives.

:P

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Helpful tip for any students with regard to electives....and I know you all don't want to necessarily hear this but... don't use your electives purely classes that you enjoy but classes that you like but compliment your major.

Sure I could take basket weaving because I love it (yeah right) but instead I would take a class like accounting because there are a lot of computer systems that deal with accounting principles. Or take math or take a science that you hope to do computing in one day. Right now I could develop systems for telescopes if I wanted to because I took classes in astronomy.

They may not be the most fun of classes you ever had but when it comes time to graduate you have your major and then a ton of knowledge that backs up your major. Heck if worst came to it and you couldn't get a CS job, you would be better suited to find another job with something like accounting than basket weaving.... unless you were on a reservation in the south west US. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

I've loaded up with CS courses, including a few beyond the required courses. I've also added a few extra math courses that will allow me to graduate with a minor.

I think I'd like to take some history courses though. My university offers two courses in US history (to 1865 and since 1865) and two courses in the history of warfare (to 1789 and since 1789) and I'd love to take all 4 of those!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

All of my electives consist of German classes, and Band classes. Look around in related departments like Electrical and Computer engineering if that's your thing. Like Martyr said, take some science classes. Take something you're interested in, and remember, if you have a tough semester, get an easy elective in there. Basket weaving, some low level history or science, or even music credits can't hurt you.

I would suggest going for a minor in something. Even if it's not really related. I'm doing a German minor, and I'm sure that won't really apply anywhere, but who knows. I may get hired to do a German language version of software or something.

Really, any electives you take should be something you want to do. To a point you can apply computer science to anything these days. I suggest you go to other departments. You'll meet a bunch of different(and interesting) people and you'll get a break from CS and technical classes for a few hours per week. Also, considering I met most of my good friends outside of the CS department, you'll get awesome networking opportunities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

My university has a rather small computer science department. Some of the upper level courses have as little as 2 students in them and I believe I saw one course with only a single student.

All engineering students at the university I attend are required to complete a common first year program. This program includes 4 courses from the Engineering department, two of those being Introduction to Programming (using C++) and Mechanisms and Electric Circuits. Most of the CS courses here are in Java, and as far as I can tell there is only one course offered by the CS department where C++ is covered (CS 3710 - Vocational Languages, you dabble in a selection of 4-5 different programming languages). Would it be a good idea to take these two courses?

Also, if it were possible for me to obtain permission from the department I might be allowed to do some courses from the Electrical Engineering faculty. Opinions on this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

It really depends on what you want to do for your career. That is the most important thing to address. Sure you can take in depth WWII history class, but its not going to help you at all in a technical department.

If you don't like math. electrical engineering might be hard for you. But I would recommend taking the basic sequence for electronic circuits. Even if you want a computer science degree, you might be able to use that working on servers or databases or networking components along with programming. I am in the same boat, I want to take the easier route of double major in computer science and math...but I think in the long run, a double major in computer engineering and math degree will be better. I want to do research, and want to do stuff on whats on the horizon in 5, 10 years...not just today.

I would take microeconomics or accounting or both. If you have that many options open, and don't like math, take a few business courses.

Depends on your school and what they offer. Also if you have another university near you, you might be able to take a class or 2 from them without worrying about degree requirements, as long as you have the pre-requistes to take them (this is very easy to do in california).

good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1