3 Replies - 494 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mathematical Knowledge Required prior to entering Computer Science

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

I am currently a College Student in a Systems Analysis (3 year course). I am about to finish my course and would like to enroll in Computer Science at a University near me. I have a deep interest in learning sorting algorithms, measuring time complexity, cryptography, systems programming and security research. I am bored by the typical, high-level knowledge; java and general algorithm knowledge. I have absolutely no problem learning and utilizing new programming languages, mentalities and syntaxes.

My only worry with regards to entering this course is what Mathematical knowledge is required prior to entering. I have done linear algebra but not quadratic equations; I have not done Calculus, nor have I done any Big-O notation. I plan on enrolling in 1 (one) year, so this gives me one year to prepare. I would like to know what I should be studying and reading to prepare. Books, worksheets, videos and any sort of advice or opinion(s) would be greatly appreciated. I have a great passion for efficient computing/programming and solving problems in the most efficient manner. I'm just trying to figure out if I would be in over my head entering Computer Science. Some people have said that I am to old, 22 this year, I would love to hear the opinions and advice of the DIC community.

Thanks To All In Advance,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mathematical Knowledge Required prior to entering Computer Science

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mathematical Knowledge Required prior to entering Computer Science

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

My advice would be to take Calc 1 and 2, it will be useful in your algorithms course (it was in mine at least) and probably also in any probability courses you wind up taking. I am on the Software engineering track so I can't say for sure how much math will be required for yours, but cryptography is normally math heavy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

If you're interested in Cryptography then you might need to take a little more math (assuming your university offers a crypto course are all). At my university there is a cryptography course offered by the math department and to take it you need to have taken: Calculus I, Calculus II, Discrete Mathematics, Introductory Number Theory, and Number Theory I
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

Check out this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +