3 Replies - 1997 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

How do you deal with starting a new dev job?

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

As we all know, starting a new job can be an exciting but also challenging experience. We all know different software development firms have different ways of doing things. Some have daily builds while others might not. Different development methodologies where you might be working in a test driven development environment where as in your previous job, you might not of done this. Totally different code base which you will need to learn and also how it all works. An old college friend recently started a new dev job and took him quite sometime to get settled in. I gave him some advice and tips - one of them being to document everything you come across so you don't end up asking the same questions to developers and can always look back to something in your notepad when your unsure. How many servers are there? What are they called and what they are used for? Which directories contains what part of the system? What custom libraries contain what classes/functions/etc... and what are they used for?

How do you deal with starting a new dev job? :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you deal with starting a new dev job?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you deal with starting a new dev job?

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

There are several ways to starting out. Accept you won't know anyone's name the first blitz day of people, names, projects, etc. Second, know where the documentation is. If my current gig I was tossed a pile of cds to install and was given rapid fire tips on how code is written. Okay... so I wrote it all down. I made my own documentation. The same goes for all new systems I was being exposed to. Words to pen and paper to hands on playing to Word Doc.

I find it's important to figure out their code style and locations of resources.

Oh and it's also a good practice to find the baddest furry toothed geek there and jump him. Establish dominance. Oh and it's always good to sort of over dress for the first week or so.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ask tons of questions. No one can expect you to know where everything is and how everything works. Even if you know C# like the back of your hand, jumping into a custom made programming project with its own classes, methods, style and everything is still going to take you time to get it all down.

Secondly, don't be afraid to ask. Hey, take advantage of this while you are new. Everyone expects someone new to ask a ton of questions... better than a year later and you are still asking questions about basic stuff.

Any time I get into a new system they can count on me to start chatting it up with questions. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

Buy plenty of booze because you're going to come across code that will make you envy what some of the people on thedailywtf deal with. That being said, know who wrote the code before you cry about it as nothing is more embarassing than ripping code apart and finding out it was your boss that wrote it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1