I wish to learn how to build my own desktop. Today, I have a desktop that works fine, but are not upgradable. It is a HP DC5100 MT with an 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD, 3 GB DDR2 5400 MHz RAM and a Gigabyte Ethernet.
What I have in stock are a CPU that I would love to try on. The CPU is a Intel Celeron 430. If you click here, you will find a page with the motherboard who support this CPU.
As you might think now, I don't really have much need for a powerful machine. What I do mostly on the computer is as following:
- Using Microsoft Office 2007, Word and Excel primarily
- Surfing the net with Firefox 4, single window with multiple tabs
- Using Bittorrent
- Writing programs with Notepad++ and compiling it with Command Prompt - mostly learning and writing therefore very simple programs
The games I sometimes play are:
- Bliztkrieg with demand of a Pentium III 366 MHz CPU, 64 MB of RAM, Win. 98 or newer, DirectX version 8.1 or newer
- Supreme Ruler 2020 with demand of a Pentium III 800 MHz or hight, 512 MB of RAM, Win. 98 or newer, DirectX version 9 or newer
- Imperial Glory with demand of a CPU of at least 1 GHz, 256 MB RAM, an GPU (does not support integrated graphic)
My gaming demands are pretty low .
This is the demand (is it the right word?) for the build:
- upgradeable for new audio-card and video-card (if the old ones breaks down or need to be upgraded)
- able to support two screens, preferable two VGA since the monitors I have in store only have VGA
- ATi PCI-Express or nVidia PCI-Express support (I mean that the motherboard will accept either of this type of GPU)
- At least 1 GB of RAM
- Support for Linux operating system
The price-tag has a limit on around 1 400 $ US or 1 000 Euro or 1 000 £ GB. That I have already is
- CPU Intel Celeron 430
- Two monitors with VGA-ports
- XP Pro
- Windwos 7 Ultimate
- Linux OS Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenSuse 11.4 and some more laying around
What do you, dear fellow members, suggest I would buy? What type of motherboard? What type of audio-card?