7 Replies - 533 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

#1 WinkyCode  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 9
  • View blog
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 23-February 11

A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

Dear following members of Dream in Code,
:genius:

I wish to learn how to build my own desktop. Today, I have a desktop that works fine, but are not upgradable. It is a HP DC5100 MT with an 2 TB 5400 RPM HDD, 3 GB DDR2 5400 MHz RAM and a Gigabyte Ethernet.

What I have in stock are a CPU that I would love to try on. The CPU is a Intel Celeron 430. If you click here, you will find a page with the motherboard who support this CPU.

As you might think now, I don't really have much need for a powerful machine. What I do mostly on the computer is as following:
  • Using Microsoft Office 2007, Word and Excel primarily
  • Surfing the net with Firefox 4, single window with multiple tabs
  • Using Bittorrent :whistling:
  • Writing programs with Notepad++ and compiling it with Command Prompt - mostly learning and writing therefore very simple programs


The games I sometimes play are:
  • Bliztkrieg with demand of a Pentium III 366 MHz CPU, 64 MB of RAM, Win. 98 or newer, DirectX version 8.1 or newer
  • Supreme Ruler 2020 with demand of a Pentium III 800 MHz or hight, 512 MB of RAM, Win. 98 or newer, DirectX version 9 or newer
  • Imperial Glory with demand of a CPU of at least 1 GHz, 256 MB RAM, an GPU (does not support integrated graphic)

My gaming demands are pretty low :smartass: .

This is the demand (is it the right word?) for the build:
  • upgradeable for new audio-card and video-card (if the old ones breaks down or need to be upgraded)
  • able to support two screens, preferable two VGA since the monitors I have in store only have VGA
  • ATi PCI-Express or nVidia PCI-Express support (I mean that the motherboard will accept either of this type of GPU)
  • At least 1 GB of RAM
  • Support for Linux operating system


The price-tag has a limit on around 1 400 $ US or 1 000 Euro or 1 000 GB. That I have already is
  • CPU Intel Celeron 430
  • Two monitors with VGA-ports
  • XP Pro
  • Windwos 7 Ultimate
  • Linux OS Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenSuse 11.4 and some more laying around


What do you, dear fellow members, suggest I would buy? What type of motherboard? What type of audio-card? :helpsmilie:

Yours Truly
Winky ^^

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: A question about building your own desktop

#2 Sergio Tapia  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1252
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,168
  • Joined: 27-January 10

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Check the link in my signature and mix and match parts that interest you. You seem to have a pretty big budget, small would be considered around 400$. So have fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 Slice  Icon User is offline

  • sudo pacman -S moneyz


Reputation: 241
  • View blog
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 24-November 08

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

View PostWinkyCode, on 18 April 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

[*]able to support two screens, preferable two VGA since the monitors I have in store only have VGA


A lot of the newer (reasonably priced) graphics cards come with three slots, and can dual monitor. My current card has a VGA slot, a HDMI slot and DVI slot.

I currently use two monitors which are only VGA compatible, so I bought a DVI to VGA converter off amazon for like 2 and it works great :) (like this adapter)

You can also buy similar ones for HDMI to VGA if that is what your card supports. So having two VGA monitors doesn't necessarily mean you need a video card with two VGA outs.

Also since you have a rather big budget, you could look into getting a SSD(Solid State Drive) instead of the common HDD for improved performance and lifespan, although they do lack the large capacity of some regular HDDs.

Hope this helps :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 codeprada  Icon User is offline

  • Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

Reputation: 944
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,353
  • Joined: 15-February 11

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:56 AM

You could get a fully built system with a stunning capabilities for alot less than 1400USD.

http://www.tigerdire...ers-_-Spot%2016

If you want to build it yourself then I'd suggest getting a motherboard that supports the Intel i7 processor which is an amazing CPU. It goes up to 6 cores :).

Going AMD CPU and a ATI graphics card will give you alot of performance also with AMD Overdrive on a machine running 64-bit OS. The AMD Radeon 6000 series is quite pricy but will get the job done for sure. The Radeon 4850 is a remarkable card and will definitely pwn those games you listed above for alot less than the 6000 series cards.

You must also take cooling into consideration depending on how much power you want to pack in your little tower. Then the power supply must be able to handle the load of the system.

If you don't know much about computers at that level then I'd suggest getting some that does or buying a ready build system.

This post has been edited by codeprada: 18 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 Tethik  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 17
  • View blog
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 14-March 10

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Since you live in Sweden too I'd recommend Komplett or Webhallen. They usually have upgrade or complete dyi kits that you can put together. With the pricetag you mentioned you could probably just buy a prebuilt one and be happy with it.

This post has been edited by Tethik: 18 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 calvinthedestroyer  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 167
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,908
  • Joined: 13-October 07

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

You sound like you all ready know a lot about computers, but if you need a guide the Upgrading and Repairing PC's Is a great book to learn from.

Quote

CPU that I would love to try on.

I love it when tech's talk dirty :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 WinkyCode  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 9
  • View blog
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 23-February 11

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

View PostSlice, on 18 April 2011 - 05:44 AM, said:

View PostWinkyCode, on 18 April 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

[*]able to support two screens, preferable two VGA since the monitors I have in store only have VGA


A lot of the newer (reasonably priced) graphics cards come with three slots, and can dual monitor. My current card has a VGA slot, a HDMI slot and DVI slot.

I currently use two monitors which are only VGA compatible, so I bought a DVI to VGA converter off amazon for like 2 and it works great :) (like this adapter)

You can also buy similar ones for HDMI to VGA if that is what your card supports. So having two VGA monitors doesn't necessarily mean you need a video card with two VGA outs.

Also since you have a rather big budget, you could look into getting a SSD(Solid State Drive) instead of the common HDD for improved performance and lifespan, although they do lack the large capacity of some regular HDDs.

Hope this helps :D


@ Slice, you are right. Adapters is a solution. I have some of that type in storage. I bought 5 adapters for .99 GB/per unit of E-Bay, straight from Hong Kong. Took two weeks. If you have patience, you can save a lot buying from E-Bay.

About SSD, I heard it was a problem with security. That it was hard to erase data on them. And then again, the size of it. Anyone else heard something similar? The one thing SSB has an advantage over the older mechanic ones is speed and speed is not really an issue for me. Today, I am running a Samsung EcoGreen F4, 2TB, 5400RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA II. And I think I have a SATA 1 connection on the motherboard. But I will look into it.

Thank you for responding :flowers:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 WinkyCode  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 9
  • View blog
  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: 23-February 11

Re: A question about building your own desktop

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

View Postcodeprada, on 18 April 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

You could get a fully built system with a stunning capabilities for alot less than 1400USD.

http://www.tigerdire...ers-_-Spot%2016

I shall look into that site. It seems to be an American one so I must first clear that they support international trading.

View Postcodeprada, on 18 April 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

If you want to build it yourself then I'd suggest getting a motherboard that supports the Intel i7 processor which is an amazing CPU. It goes up to 6 cores :).

I can understand you enthusiasm (I hope I spelled it right :)). But I prefer single core processors. Those program I am running was written before multiple cores was developed, so to have multiple cores don't do much. Probably will it be slower. And as I said, I would love to try on the Celeron CPU I have at home :bananaman: .

View Postcodeprada, on 18 April 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

Going AMD CPU and a ATI graphics card will give you alot of performance also with AMD Overdrive on a machine running 64-bit OS. The AMD Radeon 6000 series is quite pricy but will get the job done for sure. The Radeon 4850 is a remarkable card and will definitely pwn those games you listed above for alot less than the 6000 series cards.

Yes, AMD is a CPU I also would like to try. My system that is working now is Intel except for one laptop. I shall look into what you have written. Big thanks for the tip! :rockon:


View Postcodeprada, on 18 April 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

You must also take cooling into consideration depending on how much power you want to pack in your little tower. Then the power supply must be able to handle the load of the system.

If you don't know much about computers at that level then I'd suggest getting some that does or buying a ready build system.

Cooling is not an issue I have had problem with before. I have run mostly office computers who should be designed to run for a long period of time. Like my DC5100 MT, my DC7100 SFF or my Dell GX240 SFF.

I would think I know a bit about computers and how to assemble them :smartass: . And as someone else suggested, I have the book "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott William Mueller, the 19:th edition. And of course the knowledge of Google at my fingertip. I have to date mostly repaired or made some small upgrades on desktops and laptops. I am planning this summer to buy and assemble an desktop from the ground up. I am now in the 'planning stage'. Gather information and decide what to buy.

Thank you for your insight and for your response :flowers:

View PostTethik, on 18 April 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

Since you live in Sweden too I'd recommend Komplett or Webhallen. They usually have upgrade or complete dyi kits that you can put together. With the pricetag you mentioned you could probably just buy a prebuilt one and be happy with it.


Thank you. I shall look into them. Yes, I can probably buy a prebuilt unit. But then I would not learn eh? :dontgetit: I have planned that this summer I shall learn how to build a desktop from the ground up. Since I have the OS, I don't wish to pay for it again when buying a prebuilt unit.

Thank you for the tips and thank you for responding :flowers:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1