0 Replies - 18885 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

READ FIRST - Flash forum rules/guidelines/resources

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to the Flash, Flex, Actionscript forums!

Yes this forum covers a few different topics that, though closely related, can vary in answers. This here is a set of guidelines and starting points for people new to this forum to start off with.

I'll start by introducing myself.

As of April 15th 2011 you have a new Forum Leader, me, LordOfDuct. I'm 27 years old and have been professionally programming in several languages for a few years now. Up until last summer I freelance programmed in Flex/AS3 full time and made a very good living at it. I know the framework and language very well and hope I can be of assistance to those who need to help. I hope to also foster other members in this sub-forum to step up and do the same. Please do not be afraid to come forward with any questions in this subject that you want, or even general discussion on Flash/Flex/Actionscript.

When posting please just follow these following guidelines.

Guidelines/Rules:

1) Prefix your thread title with the technology you're talking about

The Flash/Actionscript forum isn't busy enough to give it multiple sub forums at the moment. So I ask that when posting a question that is specific about a specific Actionscript version, or the Flex framework, prefix your thread.

examples:

AS3 - what is 'root'?
AS2 - how do I retrieve FlashVars?
Flex - assistance with custom components in mxml
Flash - help drawing a custom button

If your question or topic doesn't have a related technology under the flash umbrella, then feel free to not include a Prefix:

example:
'The future of Flash on Macs'

2) We are not here to write your code for you

We are here to give you a guiding light and point you in the direction you might want to go. Avoid any 'Give Me Teh Codez' questions, and please show some sort of effort on your part when asking your question. And most importantly show respect to those assisting you, we are here as volunteers and don't 'need' to do anything for you. DIC is a very busy forum with many members, we don't 'need' you... Yes I'm a bit blunt and callous on this point, I'm not here to give you hugs and kisses. We're all here to HELP each other, and usually help isn't rainbows and butterflies.

3) We are not mind readers

We don't know you, we have not worked on your project, we have no idea what 'this part' or 'that part' is or what design patterns you used to write them. Assume we don't know anything about what you're working on when asking a question.

So please include any necessary information. And don't be surprised if we ask you for more information afterward. We can't give you good advise with out knowing what you need advise about.

Starting Points:

1) Adobe Flash CS#
Adobe Flash is a proprietary and pay for authoring tool that supports the Adobe Actionscript languages. You can get trial versions from Adobe that last usually 30-days.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Note this technology is not necessary and flash can be written for free and legally.

2) Flex Framework SDK
The Flex framework is 100% free to use from Adobe. You don't get the wonderful art tools that are included in Adobe Flash Professional, or the GUI editor of Flash Builder, but you get the powerful Actionscript compiler and the entire Flex/Flash framework for coding:

http://opensource.ad...Download+Flex+4

The SDK can be used on its own with any of your favourite text editors and the command line compiler. Or you can integrate it into one of your favourite IDEs (I personally use Eclipse in Linux). There are also great open-source projects creating fully integrated stand alone developing tools, on Windows the FlashDevelop Project is very stable and easy to use.

FlashDevelop Project (windows only)
http://www.flashdeve...title=Main_Page

3) Embedding SWFs

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 18 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Page 1 of 1