2 Replies - 678 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Software engineer/IT consultant/Technical consultant

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

So I've been offered these 3 jobs, I just want to ask you what's the prospect of the career in the long term? Which one is the most stable, financially rewarding? As of currently, I'm still a fresh grad, so I don't care picking one that offers the lowest salary. I just want to be stable after 5~10 years period.

All three are big companies, so I don't think I could choose based on reputation alone. I don't think interviews did me any good either, since the people at HR will most probably not tell me everything I need to know. (and I don't know much what to ask anyway, due to my inexperience)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software engineer/IT consultant/Technical consultant

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software engineer/IT consultant/Technical consultant

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Job description? Type of work you'd be doing? Company stability? Company market diversity?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software engineer/IT consultant/Technical consultant

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Software engineer :
- Mostly will involve porting their legacy code from C++ to C#.
- The main business for the company is in network testing. (analyzing network performance and how to improve efficiency for client's network connection)

IT consultant :
- Help troubleshoot all IT-related problems in the company's oil and field division.
- The company's business is mainly on system integration, IT business consultation.

Technical consultant :
- Provide support on technical stuff for clients. Meet clients, discuss about their requirement, specification, etc.
- The company provides services on software and consultation.

One is UK, another is Swiss, another one is US company. I know European countries suffer from economic downturn, but I have no idea how it will affect their local branch in here, so I can't say anything about the company's stability. If you're asking me about the company market's diversity, I would say the one that is offering me IT consultant is the most diverse, followed by the SE, and technical consultant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1