4 Replies - 2399 Views - Last Post: 26 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Functional Programming in the Workplace

Post icon  Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Functional programming languages have been gaining traction in the professional world for a while now. Lots of companies are using languages like Clojure and Haskell.

I recently landed a paid internship with Geni, a Clojure-based company that some friends of mine work at. I'm going to be working with them. It's a very exciting time in my life. I was talking with macosxnerd101 about the internship and other things, and we decided that it would be nice to get a thread going for everybody to talk about functional programming in their workplaces.

So, our question is: what have you been doing, professionally, with FP? Are you using a functional language in your workplace? Are you working on getting your company to use/let you use a functional programming language? Furthermore, have you persuaded any co-workers to visit the functional dark side? Talk about your professional FP experiences here!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Functional Programming in the Workplace

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Functional Programming in the Workplace

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

At my internship last summer, my boss threw out Erlang to look into for the project I was working on, which got me into the language. It didn't pan out as something we ended up using, and I didn't really learn the language well enough in a couple weeks to do anything significant. Since I was more productive on the Android side, that's where I decided to spend my time. I've been working on and off with Erlang (a few days here and there as time allows) for the past year, though.

My boss isn't opposed to my pursuing other functional languages, either. My coworker hadn't touched FP since Lisp in college, though. So in terms of other people working on my FP code, I'm not sure it would happen. While it's nice to be needed to work on a component, that can be a bit of a PITA down the road if I'm working on a different project later and something comes up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

This is a subject I am very interested in... languages (and other projects) that are being implemented a lot in business and industry rather than just for research. What is the point of research if it is not going to be used?

I know Facebook uses Erlang for Facebook Chat and of course it is used a lot to power phone networks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 23 April 2011 - 12:52 AM, said:

At my internship last summer, my boss threw out Erlang to look into for the project I was working on, which got me into the language. It didn't pan out as something we ended up using, and I didn't really learn the language well enough in a couple weeks to do anything significant. Since I was more productive on the Android side, that's where I decided to spend my time. I've been working on and off with Erlang (a few days here and there as time allows) for the past year, though.

Erlang's certainly an intriguing language - I definitely think I "get it" more easily than most functional languages - probably due to its roots in Prolog (which I've spent some time with). My current job doesn't involve any programming, let alone functional languages. You may see Erlang picking up popularity in the industry if more people open their eyes (as is the case with most "different" paradigms, it seems).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Clojure has put forth effort to compile a list of Clojure success stories. http://dev.clojure.o...Success+Stories

I was shocked to see that Citigroup is using Clojure!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1