9 Replies - 774 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Is This a Good Book to Learn From?

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Well at the book store I went to this was one of the only Java books. It was Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 hours. Anybody have any thing to tell me about it? Is it good?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is This a Good Book to Learn From?

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is This a Good Book to Learn From?

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

Most people don't have kind words for for the Teach Yourself X in 24 hours/days.

One of my first C++ books was a 21 day one; I didn't think it was that bad. It really depends on your background and what you hope to accomplish.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

The Sams teach yourself series is really hit in and miss. Some I have read are good and some have been horrible. They are typically good books to get you familiar with a language real quick, but are often only good for that. If you want to do anything more in depth they are useless.

Read the first two or so chapters if you can to get a feel for it. If it is going to suck, you will know it in the first few chapters.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yea I have been programming in C# for almost a year now and I just want to get the jist of Java before I jump into AP computer science next year in 9th grade. I know the syntax but I want to know more about the language and I was just wondering if this was a good book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

As KYA said, people who have good things to say about books like this are few and far between. I have heard that the book Core Java is pretty decent. I am personally reading Big Java, Fourth Edition by Cay Horstmann (the author of Core Java) right now and I think its a great book. It is written in textbook style with lots of exercises and projects, so maybe you'll want to look into it!

I wish I had gotten into some AP courses when I was in high school. Unfortunately my school didn't even offer AP Computer Science, other wise I definitely would have taken it!

This post has been edited by Brewer: 24 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

At the AP level, all you really need to know is basic syntax. If you are comfortable with OOP, arrays, ArrayLists, and recursion, AP CS is going to be really easy for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you do a lot with C#? If you're comfortable with those concepts in C#, then Java will be pretty straight-forward to transition to. The syntax is pretty close.

You might want to check out my thread Getting Better at Programming in Java for a more detailed list of things to expect, and supplement with DIC Tutorials as well.

Also, this thread has some books others recommend, in case you decide to look online.

Hope this helps some. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thanks everybody!

@macosxnerd101. Yea I am very comfortable with C#. I have been at it for about a year now and I love the syntax of the language and how everything works especially after trying and hating VB.Net. I was just wondering if by chance the class would have a lot to do with Java Libraries or the "Framework". I don't know if it is called that but that is just what I am referring to it as. But yea I assist my middle schools technology administrator and she recommended me to take the highest computer class I could get into which is AP Computer Science. All I am hoping is that they will allow a freshman to take it. But anyways thanks for all the help guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Honestly, it's just the basics. The only library classes you really have to worry about are Math, String, Integer, Double, and Random. And you get the API on the exam, similar to the formula sheets on the AP Stats, AP Chem, or AP Physics exams. You'll do fine if you're good with C#. It's more trying to guage if you have a basic competency in programming than if you have a thorough knowledge of Java. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

Correct, I think. I have had a good experience with that book, but only with prior programming knowledge.
If you have trouble, find another book, or use the internet for a basic understanding and get back to the book. Also, don't expect to learn Java in 21 hrs, you will be soley disappointed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

View Postromil797, on 24 April 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Correct, I think. I have had a good experience with that book, but only with prior programming knowledge.
If you have trouble, find another book, or use the internet for a basic understanding and get back to the book. Also, don't expect to learn Java in 21 hrs, you will be soley disappointed

Yes I know xD. I skipped through the first 8 chapters to be honest because it was almost all the same with C#. There is just one last question I have with this thread and that is if there is any other good java books that anybody can recommend to me and it isn't important that they don't have this but it would be nice if it didn't spend the first 100 pages or so discussing the very basics. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1