14 Replies - 919 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dostal Computing

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

What all should I add to my website to make it look more professional? Is this an inviting website? Currently this is for a school project, but I plan to make it into an actual business website in the future (That is why there is no phone number or address currently.)

Thanks for all reviews!

Dostal Computing

URGH! It's going crazy now. It doesn't want to load now. One sec. Working on it now.

This post has been edited by CodyD: 25 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dostal Computing

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Dostal Computing

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

**UPDATE**:
Website is back up. I don't know what went wrong, probably on 1&1's side, but it seems to be fully functioning again. Thanks in advance for any reviews!

Dostal Computing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi there :)

Your website is up right now. It's a little plain don't you think? Do you have any plans on adding more content on to it?

The menu bar and the banner aren't aligned. It'll look better if they both had the same size.

I tried the contact us and my PC hang for a while then it threw out like 40 error pages in Internet Explorer (I'm using Firefox) Not sure if it's my computer or the link. You could just check that.

Another thing is that maybe at the top of the page you could like add a <br> to separate the menu from your first paragraph.

And finally a little color won't hurt :P

Your website is definitely functional and straight to the point which is good but it can be improved a little. I hope my feedback helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Your website is up right now. It's a little plain don't you think? Do you have any plans on adding more content on to it?

I don't really know what other content to add to it? Any ideas you could provide me with :P

The menu bar and the banner aren't aligned. It'll look better if they both had the same size.

Hmm.. I didn't notice that. It probably may be with the banner being around 700px, centered, while the menu is 750.

I tried the contact us and my PC hang for a while then it threw out like 40 error pages in Internet Explorer (I'm using Firefox) Not sure if it's my computer or the link. You could just check that.

I can't test with IE, as I am using Fedora Linux, so I can test with Firefox (which is all I have) and eventually Google Chrome, and Opera.

Another thing is that maybe at the top of the page you could like add a <br> to separate the menu from your first paragraph.

I will add that in tomorrow. I need to head to bed now as it's 11:46PM here and I have school tomorrow :)

And finally a little color won't hurt :P

Haha, I want to add color, but I don't really know what colors to use to mix together, without taking away from the usability of the website. Any websites that have this well included that I could take a look at?

Your website is definitely functional and straight to the point which is good but it can be improved a little. I hope my feedback helps.

Thanks :) I am taking all your feedback into consideration, (most already being implemented haha) and it definitely has helped. This is my first major website that can make or break my grade in school, and a potential future business :P It is also the first domain that I have paid for.. ever xD

**NOTE**: Something I just noticed.. I haven't written any of the pages that are located in the footer, apart from the Contact Us page :P Need to work on the rest.

This post has been edited by CodyD: 25 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

I think that the graphics could use some work. It looks like a school project, if you know what I mean.

In the header/logo, I would reduce the size of the "Your computer, revitalized" line. It will make it appear as more of a tagline.

Colorlovers.com is something I use quite a bit for color inspiration.

In Chrome (havent checked others), the footer text is like size 6pt. I can barely read it. The serif font and italics don't help with that. Sans serif is much more readable at smaller sizes.

I think that a simple php contact form would add a nice touch to your site, so that the people fill out a form and it gets emailed to you.

Also in your code, the footers usually go outside of the wrapper div (I think, I'm still new to this stuff).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

Would be nice to tell how much you charge for actual hardware repairs. Free diagnosis might get you some clients, though is this diagnosis onsite or at your work store?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

It would be at the work store. Not on-site diagnosis, that would end up costing money. I will check that out for hardware repairs. I will have to decide how much service fee is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

View PostCodyD, on 25 April 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

What all should I add to my website to make it look more professional? Is this an inviting website? Currently this is for a school project, but I plan to make it into an actual business website in the future (That is why there is no phone number or address currently.)

Thanks for all reviews!

Dostal Computing

URGH! It's going crazy now. It doesn't want to load now. One sec. Working on it now.

the menu looks nice :) however the rest of the site is kind of bland (no offence :D) anyway if you could mabye use the same blue on the dark gray to accent small other details on the site it would bring out its appeal much more.

also the footer text is so small its im possible to read i know its not the most important info on the site, its just that it HURTS my eyes to look at it :D

hope that helps id be willing to suggest how to incorporate more of the blue accents if you would like :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

I don't like it when the footer of a website shoots up and down I would set the minimum height on the main content div.

So your #main-cont in your main.css file would change to this:

#main-cont {
	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, 'sans-serif';
	font-size : 14px;
	font-style : normal;
	line-height : 15px;
	margin-top : -12px;
	min-height: 400px;
	}

Pretty much everything is the same, except I added the last line.

Other than that I really like the site, and I find it eye appealing. Good job :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

I updated it. New colors for the background, and a brand spanking new, amazing contact form :D What do you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Looks good... fancy contact form ya got there P:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks. AJAX, CSS, PHP, and HTML were all used <3 I love programming.

I'm trying to implement a store and it's proving to be.... umm... a workload at best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

very nice contact form.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

I noticed on the homepage there was a massive gap from the end of the text maybe you should change that and possibly change the background colour ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

@DrPanda: I followed this guys advice: "I don't like it when the footer of a website shoots up and down I would set the minimum height on the main content div."

I kinda am confused about the idea of the massive gap so I might remove it from my main-cont div. Also,

@Sadin:
[quote]hope that helps id be willing to suggest how to incorporate more of the blue accents if you would like [/quote
That'd be very helpful :) Thanks

[quote]very nice contact form.[/quote[

This post has been edited by CodyD: 07 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1