1 Replies - 2892 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

Poll: VB.NET & MVVM, You using it? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

You using it?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No, don't plan on it either. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Whats MVVM? (0 votes [0.00%])

4. No, but I plan on using it. (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

VB.NET & MVVM, You using it?

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

Yesterday, I stumbled across a few articles about the very subject:

That got me wondering, are there any VB developers using this coding pratice here?

In case you do not know what it is, heres a except from wikipedia.

Wikipedia said:

The Model View ViewModel (MVVM) is an architectural pattern used in software engineering that originated from Microsoft as a specialization of the Presentation Model design pattern introduced by Martin Fowler.[1] Largely based on the Model-view-controller pattern (MVC), MVVM is targeted at modern UI development platforms (Windows Presentation Foundation and Silverlight) in which there is a User Experience (UX) developer who has requirements different from those of a more “traditional” developer (e.g. oriented toward business logic and back end development). The View-Model of MVVM is “basically a value converter on steroids”[2] meaning that the View-Model is responsible for exposing the data objects from the Model in such a way that those objects are easily managed and consumed. In this respect, the View-Model is more Model than View, and handles most if not all of the View’s display logic (though the demarcation between what functions are handled by which layer is a subject of ongoing discussion[3] and exploration).

MVVM was designed to make use of specific functions in WPF to better facilitate the separation of View layer development from the rest of the pattern by removing virtually all “code behind” from the View layer.[4] Instead of requiring Interactive Designers to write View code, they can use the native WPF markup language XAML and create bindings to the ViewModel, which is written and maintained by application developers. This separation of roles allows Interactive Designers to focus on UX needs rather than programming or business logic, allowing for the layers of an application to be developed in multiple work streams.

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 27 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB.NET & MVVM, You using it?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB.NET & MVVM, You using it?

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

I do in theory, but in practice it's a bitch. I spent more time in meetings on how to do MVVM I could have coded the project twice. It didn't help that when asking our MVVM guy (who basically was researching it months to teach the rest of us) "what is MVVM?" he stammered and said "it is hard to nail down exactly". He threw a bunch of links that were equally garbled. Maybe it works better in the wcf/silverlight world, but that's not where I am right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1