2 Replies - 698 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2011 - 04:45 PM
Subscription Web Service
Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:14 PM
I have a broad question, and would like to get your input.
I am planning on developing a web application which will require a month by month subscription, yearly subscription, etc.
I am planning on implementing using the ASP.NET framework and WCF for web service communication.
However, I was just wondering what is the best way to go about implementing this? Does anyone have any useful links that they would like to share with me so I can research this further? I have not found what I have been looking for through GOOGLE.
I will appreciate any advice/input you guys may have to offer me, book references, links, or any other type of useful resources would be great. Thanks in advance.
Replies To: Subscription Web Service
Re: Subscription Web Service
Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:58 PM
You haven't even really said what you plan to do with the system. Here is where you talk about some of the business goals you want to achieve with it and then we tell you how you might go about designing a web service to support it.
Things to think about and provide us info on...
1) Expected traffic volume - Is this something you see having millions of requests a day or more like 100?
2) Business model - Is this a magazine subscription and do you want them to be able to order, edit their subscription account, stop subscription
3) What kind of applications do you want to consume the web service? Is this a client application you are creating to consume it? Open to the public?
4) Future needs - Do you expect this to grow exponentially? Have any plans on how you want to go about updating it? Does it update a lot?
Things like this can help give us a feel of what you are trying to do... not to mention give you an idea of what you are really needing out of your web service.
Re: Subscription Web Service
Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:45 PM
Question: "What exactly are you asking about? How to implement a web service with those technologies or how to create a web service period? How to design it for a month to month subscription?"
Answer: I am more looking to learn how to design a month to month subscription. I have a couple of ideas, but really would like to find some resources that I can see how this has been done in the past. Then I will implement it the best way I see to fit my needs.
The following are the answers to your numbered questions in the same order you asked them:
1) Traffic Volume - I am estimating the traffic to be in the hundreds of thousands in the first 1 to two years. After that time period I believe (and hope) the volume will reach the millions.
2) Business Model - No, this is not a magazine service. However, I want my members to have the ability do do what you just mentioned (order, edit their subscription account, stop their subscription account).
3) I do not want to get into the specifics of the client application or web service that I will be implementing. I am more concerned with the subscription model itself. Yes, this is a client application that I will be creating to consume the web service. I will be implementing both the client and web service. It will be open to registered, paying members.
4) I do expect this to grow. No, I currently do no have plans to update the system. The plans are still in the making. Right now I just want to read and see how other people have implemented a member driven subscription service. I do plan on eventually having many enhancements as the user base grows.
I hope this was clear enough. As you can see, I am just really focused right now on the subscription model. I just want to see how other developers usually go about implementing a member subscription service in general. Once, I have a good idea of how others usually or have gone about implementing a subscription, based system... I will then go ahead and begin the implementation process myself. That's is all I want really is a bunch of resources to refer to. I am open to all types of information.
Thanks alot for your help
This post has been edited by Enfinik: 30 April 2011 - 04:52 PM