4 Replies - 562 Views - Last Post: 28 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

IT Certifications

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

What IT Certifications do you have? What were the hardest/most rewarding to achieve? What has gotten you the furthest in your professional career? What certifications are you currently working on?

I know a lot of ITers like to put down certifications, saying that nothing trumps experience. I couldn't agree more to a certain extent. But if Candidate A and Candidate B are equal in experience and every other parameter for a job, and Candidate A has certifications in the related field I do believe that is a leg up.

Certs never hurt! And even for the experienced guy, I think you learn a certain amount about your profession/passion every time you go for one.

So let's hear it!!

As for me: CCNA, MCP (Server 2003 AD)
Working on my MCPD with ASP.NET 3.5

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IT Certifications

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IT Certifications

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have no certifications & I am not working on any.

I can say that not having one has not held me back, ever. Least no one has ever said "well, we'd like to give you the job, but you don't have certification X".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Of course, you never know what they didn't tell you. And you never know if the other guy who did get it had your same qualifications plus a certification.

My opinion about certifications is at worst, they do nothing. They can't hurt, even if they sometimes don't help.

I'd like to get an MCPD, but you need to have like 3 specific MCTSs first. I'd rather just go back to university and finish my undergrad degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, not having it most likely won't hurt you. But you can't deny that it is proof on paper that you have a certain amount of proficiency with a technology.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

I've had my A+ since November 2010 then got my DCSE in Desktop, Portables and the 5100cn Printer. Right now my school pays for several certs with my degree so I'm studying for the CCNA, CCNA Security right now to get a head start on it. I'm also going along with a MCTS book for Windows 7 which my school is also providing.

I know the Level 2 and 3 team I was on with my last job really preferred you to have certifications. I was hired on there in July 2010 with none whatsoever but they knew what I was able to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1