• +
  • Last »

190 Replies - 4187 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your opinion on Ubuntu 11.04 : Natty Narwhal

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

According to what I've read you need hardware acceleration for Unity. Since VMs don't support that fully, you probably won't see it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

So I updated to 11.04 and I personally don't like it. I would really prefer Gnome to Unity (I know you can change to gnome, but why should the default be unity?!). It has became kinda annoying and complicated. I'm moving to Arch now :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

<insert generic rant about how you shouldn't fix things that aren't broken>

There was nothing wrong with GNOME and I really liked it! Until in some future release of Ubuntu, they change GNOME back to the default, I'm sticking with trusty 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. I installed Ubuntu Netbook a while back on a company netbook computer because it was supposedly better for netbooks. It was horrible! That experience was the only reason I checked the new features list on Ubuntu 11.04 just to see if they had switched. GNOME FOR THE WIN(what rhymes with GNOME?).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I think the problem with team Ubuntu is they are trying to be innovative all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love a little innovation. But when they finally get a desktop environment which runs great, they swap it out for a buggy one.

So they are aiming for the tablet market, good for them. They should keep gnome as the default environment and just make people aware that unity is there if they want it for a tablet. (or make a completely separate edition for it.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

I couldn't have put it any better, slice. Also, they already have a separate edition for tablets/netbooks: Ubuntu Netbook Edition.
Either way, I still think that GNOME would even be easier to use than Unity on a tablet/netbook if they made the icons bigger!

Nothing's wrong with innovation, as long as you don't destroy something that already works well... >.<

EDIT: That's weird... The link just suddenly stopped working...
EDIT 2: Unity used to be called Ubuntu Netbook Edition. When Canonical released 11.04, they got rid of Netbook Edition. :oops:

This post has been edited by supercorey: 01 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

View Postsupercorey, on 01 May 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

EDIT 2: Unity used to be called Ubuntu Netbook Edition. When Canonical released 11.04, they got rid of Netbook Edition. :oops:

Yeah the netbook edition ran unity as the default desktop since 10.10 (and received a lot of heavy criticism). Now they have "merged" the editions.

Why they think a full fledged desktop should be running unity is anyone's guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

I really liked Natty-Narwhal. I think the update looks really nice but it was a little shocker when I opened it up. I am not using it much now that I switched over to mainly OSX. But I still love it. It's on my old crappy laptop and it runs so much better than windows. I don't care really about the change. tl;dr I thought the update was sweet :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hrmm can't say i will use it. Looks like a fancied up version of Maverick that i was running a few months ago. Looks like more trouble than its worth.

Think i will stick with my Linux Mint gnome, compiz combo as it works and after all thats what is important, i guess ubuntu test the water for new things because they can ? They are the leader of the distro's afterall and can afford to tick a few curious minds off.

Whats the consensus on the ubuntu boards ? cbf reading
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

I had it installed for all of 10 minutes. Unity worked well on my netbook, but I'm not a fan of using it on my desktop/laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

Yeah right, Ubuntu Netbook? Responsive is the last word I'd use to describe it. The mouse is all weird (it moves faster left and right than up or down) and I can't find anything I actually want to use. The thing lags all the time and this is on a netbook that runs Windows 7 just fine. It also froze three times in the short amount of time I used it.

I think they nerfed Ubuntu >.<" I think you're better off just getting Debian itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

I've used it for exclusively since launch and my verdict: It sucks big time.

First off, you can't move the Unity launcher. What the fuck is up with that!?

I'm immediately removing this and installing Linux Mint which so far doesn't seem to make crappy decisions for the sake of being different. Another gripe, Unity doesn't work well with Compiz. :lol:

Nope, goodbye Ubuntu.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hmm, not a single person has liked Unity yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hey everyone, remember when Ubuntu was this cute little desktop OS that had simple taskbars and windows? And it ran kind of fast and was easy to use for beginners? And it helped teach people how to use Linux? Wasn't that great?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

I've been using Ubuntu since version 4.10 Warty Warthog. I enjoyed it through out the years, maybe not the 'best' linux out there, but definitely was the most approachable. Through it I was able to dig around into the nitty-gritty and I learned all sorts of some about *nix systems. But at the same time had the freedom to let it just do its thing and not be forced to deep into the underlying bits. This latter was especially useful for setting up some of my friends and families with machines... they wanted to surf the web and basic crap, so I gave them Ubuntu and the went on their way. Even my mom uses and likes the experience.

But then in I think 9.04 or 9.10 they started in with moving the close/min/max buttons to the left side of the window by default. It was like this small little change that was whispering to me, "Dylan, it's coming, that's right, we want to be like Mac." Sure enough each version following integrated in more 'pretty' features and threw out 'functional' features. They still had yet to fix any of the important stuff (how about a gui that works for audio and video administration... something every 'general user' needs).

Some people love Mac, and they're free to it. I personally hate Mac, they tend to take beauty over functionality, and then call it intuitive. I'm a utilitarian kind of guy so that doesn't flow with me, and it's far from intuitive for me...

Ubuntu seems to be going down this same path. But more iteratively, it only really made a big splash when they finally made a huge change all at once (Unity).

Tie on the fact that they had changed the way it handles booting and boot scripts which pretty much relegated all my boot scripts to the trash-bin, making me re-write all of them, and leaving 2 of the most crucial ones pretty much impossible to deal with (I can't get it to grab hold of an event after the network is ready, but before /home is mounted, because now network just loads on its own thread which allows it to be ready long afterward if it wants to be... then even when its ready it randomly disconnects again and reconnects when you get to the login screen... err wha!?)

Anyways, no. I'm on 10.04 LTS right now and I've worked around most my issues with it. I'm now out looking for an alternative distro that will cover both my server and client needs.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

I had to go searching for the terminal prompt. You should never have to go looking for the terminal prompt in Linux, it should just be there somewhere.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 03 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »