6 Replies - 1717 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Guidance Projects

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

POPULAR

I started doing this at another forum and good experienced programmer has been helping along and it has been a great learning experience.

I do not know if any of you have ever been at the point where you start getting in a rut because you have gained enough knowledge to realize how bad you suck at designing actual applications.

Part of the problem for me is where your academic learning ends and real world begins.
A huge part is not getting the actual experience of watching and contributing to real world applications being built, and not sitting through the process with experienced programmers.

I was wondering if any of you experienced programmers would want to guide along some simple applications.

The point is not for you code the application at all, but guide how you would design the program.

For example a simple BlackJack game that could be played in console or winforms(2 UI to force UI logic out of game logic)

Let us newer guys first guess what different sub-systems would be then experienced guys tell us what they would.

Then the same for class design and maybe down to the actual methods.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: Guidance Projects

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Guidance Projects

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

one of the easiest ways to get experience is to go to sourceforge and join a project there. You will find experienced guys and you can contribute and learn something from them. There is a course at our uni, in which in order to pass the student has to (among other things) go and join an open-source project and contribute in some way. I like that idea even though it forces you.

So you settled for a simple blackjack game. Good, the first step is to write down a problem statement. I mean you gotta know exactly what you want to solve no? In a nutshell, the problem statement should clearly define in quantifiable terms what the finished system is able to do, but without any specific implementation details. This link talks more about problems statements and provides a nice example. After this is done, the next step would be to start analysis and design when you start modeling the system. Implementation is still a long ways away. For a while you will be busy writing documents.

This post has been edited by muballitmitte: 30 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

I'd go beyond a problem statement. If you want to treat this as a real project, then you probably want a specification to outline what end-user features the app is going to include. You could probably get most of it from wikipedia's Blackjack page, which explains what the game is, what the rules are, how the game works, etc. Just to give a clearer picture of what you mean by "A blackjack game"

This post has been edited by Bench: 30 April 2011 - 02:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

It quite helpful post for the beginners, thanks to all contributors and experts who are sharing their professional experiences. Thumbs up!

Regards
--A.J
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

haha, one item is needed. WHITE BOARD!!! Being able to jot down notes and design ideas on a single space allows for great brainstorming. In order to program an application to perform some process, you have to know the process better than anyone else. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

out line what your want the program to do and how you want it do it. basically come up with the program in full first then work towards it. abide be good coding habits and make sure your code is organized. also start small, your first outline of what the program should do 'in full' should be humble; otherwise you will end up endlessly chasing a huge goal with no checkpoint in site. checkpoints are important, they give you a sense of accomplishment.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 02 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -