8 Replies - 1671 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Darn you people and your copyright of simple words!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

I am working on something like Facebook for kids, and I want something like Facebook's wall where all recent user's statuses are mashed together. I thought that I could call it the wall because "wall" is a pretty simple word, and from what I've heard, you can't copyright simple things. But I checked Facebook's fine print and it said this:

You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Facebook, the Facebook and F Logos, FB, Face, Poke, Wall and 32665), or any confusingly similar marks, without our written permission.

Anyhow should I just go for it and name it wall or change the name?

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 01 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Darn you people and your copyright of simple words!

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Darn you people and your copyright of simple words!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Add a word in front of it. You can use something like Graffiti Wall. That would be different and distinct. The fact that the word Wall is in it wouldn't be a violation of any copyright. I also believe the intent of the copyright is that you don't duplicate their wall system. You would have to make it distinct in some way. If you're not sure about Graffiti Wall or something using the word Wall try Notes, Scratch Pad, Graffiti, Tags. Personally I think that kids would like the idea of something with Graffiti in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

How many words in the English language and you can't think of another word? You're just going to make a simple clone of someone else's work? Well, I guess a lot of people have gotten rich by ripping off other people's original concepts.

Though I will agree 'Wall' is too simplistic to copyright. MS wasn't able to copyright 'Windows' for the same reason. But the problem is Facebook is rich and you're not, so although you could win in court you can't afford to go up against them.

Facebook for kids? It's not like the average Facebook user is a rocket scientist now. I mean if you can operate a computer aren't you already overqualified to operate Facebook?

http://thesaurus.com..._utmk=235796993
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 01 May 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I thought that I could call it the wall because "wall" is a pretty simple word, and from what I've heard, you can't copyright simple things.

You've ignored half the fine print: it says "copyrights or trademarks". Trademarks are a completely different beast. While you may not be able to copyright a word like "Windows" or "Apple", you can trademark it. For instance, consider the dispute between Apple Computer and Apple Records.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

And it's not like they can just sue anyone that uses the word "Wall."

On the other hand, if you build an online social application designed for multiple people to socially interact, and you add a feature that allows people to write public messages to each other on their profile, and call it some derivative of "Wall", now you're in the danger zone.

Don't call it "Wall" or anything else having to do with "Wall". Come up with an original idea for the name. And not just to avoid getting sued, but because it just makes sense to be original instead of derivative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'd suggest grabbing a thesaurus, or you can just follow this link.

I personally like fence or surface.

"So I left this post on Susan's surface the other day about blah blah blah."

"Have you read my fence lately? There some nice information on there about blah blah blah."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

See, I'd argue against that.

If you're already "borrowing" features, the last thing you want to do is draw attention to the similarities with a clever synonym. It'll make your app seem more like a ripoff than it really is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

I am working on something like Facebook for kids

After a few years the OP can turn over his databases to the FBI to use the information to snatch up the grip of pedos.

I also agree - cloned ideas and concepts are.. uninspiring. Thing big and radical. Brand that sucker.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

You could call is pedo-snatcher. It would be original, and still aimed to kids... and pedos...

As for the wall thing, just call is something like bulletin, or the like. When you post something in a hallway at school/ on campus you use a bulletin board, so it is the same concept (but bulletin board is normally associated with forums so you just drop the board). Simple, elegant, etc.

Also, with these types of ideas, remember that they (the companies) didn't start out where they are today, they grew over time. Start simple, find your market and cater to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1