7 Replies - 321 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Trying to Start Something New

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm here because I'd like to learn just what in the world my husband is talking about. Whenever I ask him what he's up to, he'll give me alphabet soup. "Oh, I'm doing something with C#" (which my brain turns into a musical key) or "C++", "Python", etc, etc. He learns new languages every few months, then revisits them to keep up on his skills.

The problem is - I have no idea what he's talking about and I don't want to be "that wife" anymore. I'd like to have some sort of understanding about what he's doing.

So about myself - (besides my complete coding ignorance) - I'm a high school English teacher currently in my eighth year of teaching. I love puzzles, so I am hoping that I can use that in my new quest to learn about coding.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Trying to Start Something New

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trying to Start Something New

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

View Postguintiger, on 01 May 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

I'm here because I'd like to learn just what in the world my husband is talking about. Whenever I ask him what he's up to, he'll give me alphabet soup. "Oh, I'm doing something with C#" (which my brain turns into a musical key) or "C++", "Python", etc, etc. He learns new languages every few months, then revisits them to keep up on his skills.

The problem is - I have no idea what he's talking about and I don't want to be "that wife" anymore. I'd like to have some sort of understanding about what he's doing.

So about myself - (besides my complete coding ignorance) - I'm a high school English teacher currently in my eighth year of teaching. I love puzzles, so I am hoping that I can use that in my new quest to learn about coding.

Now, I'm 18 so I know nothing about the world of marriage, but I'd definitely suggest sitting with him when he's coding and having a small looksie at what he's doing, ask what random lines of code do, all that jazz. Or you could learn a basic language (I'd suggest Visual Basic) and then talk to him about that. I'm not sure if that was marriage advice or programmers advice... yeah, don't listen to me :P

[Edit] By the way, I find you little 'quest' both admiral in purpose and awesome in reasoning.

This post has been edited by pryogene: 01 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestion - while I would love to peep over his shoulder and give him the third degree about what in the world he's doing, he's working with Java and C++ at the moment...he explained a LITTLE to me, but all I got out of that was something about libraries and Stanford Projects. After about thirty seconds of that my eyes sort of glazed over and I lapsed into the "uh huh...yeah....uh huh" phase.

So for now I'll be doing it all with whatever tutorials I can find and just self-teach. I'd like it to be a surprise, so that ONE day when he tells me all that stuff, instead of going all glassy-eyed I'll actually be able to fire back with intelligent questions and comments.

I've never heard him mention Visual Basic - I'll give that a look. For now, I've started puttering with Python (as an English nut, the reference to Monty Python appeals to me!)

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hahaha! That must be the first introduction post I have ever repped.. your here to understand what your husband is on about? Excellent! Most partners just ignore things like programming if they do not understand it.

So welcome to Dream In Code!

May I suggest that you do NOT look into Visual Basic. The only time VB is good these days is generally if you are working on an old application or are just extremely good with it. Most people do not recommend it as a starter language (not because it is hard... it is not, but it will not give you a good grasp on programming and may well confuse). I suggest C#, it is very similar to VB (as it uses the .NET framework) but the syntax is more similar to Java (and C/C++ as well).

Java is a good language, though personally for beginners I find that C# (especially if you use Visual Studio, is just easier to get the hang of). C++ and C are both very important languages but they are massive learning curves so are generally not the best first language (although if you do manage to have one of them as your first language, you will be a strong programmer).

Python is a great first language (although C# and Java probably have slightly easier and more sensical syntax), it is very strong for most applications (some languages are better and something than others, but python is fairly well rounded).

Is your husband on DIC already? If not, invite him to join the party!

Have fun, learn and contribute :)

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 01 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

I wish my girlfriend had the same attitude as you :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

View PostShane Hudson, on 01 May 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

May I suggest that you do NOT look into Visual Basic. The only time VB is good these days is generally if you are working on an old application or are just extremely good with it. Most people do not recommend it as a starter language (not because it is hard... it is not, but it will not give you a good grasp on programming and may well confuse). I suggest C#, it is very similar to VB (as it uses the .NET framework) but the syntax is more similar to Java (and C/C++ as well).

As much as it goes against what I said, I definitely agree. I was talking from the perspective of being easy to learn, however C# is a whole lot stricter, and similar to many other broadly used languages (he mentioned C/C++ - that's pretty much everywhere) so you'll get more of a grasp on what it's all about.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 01 May 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

C++ and C are both very important languages but they are massive learning curves so are generally not the best first language (although if you do manage to have one of them as your first language, you will be a strong programmer).

Carving square wheels for x years, won`t make you a wheel expert. Without some background you might pick up some nasty programming habits which are later hard to get rid of. I would avoid those languages for now.

This post has been edited by muballitmitte: 02 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

View Postmuballitmitte, on 02 May 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostShane Hudson, on 01 May 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

C++ and C are both very important languages but they are massive learning curves so are generally not the best first language (although if you do manage to have one of them as your first language, you will be a strong programmer).

Carving square wheels for x years, won`t make you a wheel expert. Without some background you might pick up some nasty programming habits which are later hard to get rid of. I would avoid those languages for now.

Agreed, which is why I said it is not recommended as first language. Personally I have been programming (albeit as an amateur) for over 11 years now and while I can program is C and C++, I still do not feel comfortable enough to put it on my CV.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1