10 Replies - 849 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for tips or ideas...

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

My background is in Visual Basic .NET, HTML, CSS and Javascript w/ a few of the JS libraries, frameworks, toolkits etc... while I have a friend or two usually work on logos for me. But it being finals time, they are busy and recent college grads who recently got jobs in their field. So, I am graphically design challenged.

Ok, well anyway. About a week or so ago, some guy came across my most prized website work that was for a daily agricultural... trading and commodities newsletter (CogsRevolt.... for those interested in knowing what the site is). This dude works at the Toledo, OH Better Business Bureau and asked me if I would like a job, so I said sure and asked him for the details. He is looking for a site similar to Freelancer, only without the bidding and always choosing the highly rated bidders without giving the lower rated bidders a chance to get picked... but he gets a lot of leads a month and wants to send out daily e-mail leads (about 5/day) to subscribers. I came up with a good look for the site, and just needs to re-pick the colors.

My question is, if I can say it right, what would you like to see trademark a website that is focused to help all you graphic and web designers get pretty stable work? I am all ears, and will be happy to keep in contact to get it to your perfection. And if you also want, I can put your name down as the author.

I have Adobe CS5 Master Collection, so I got everything and Autodesk 2011 (Composite, MatchMover and Maya) for the possibility for 3D. And no experience in anything other than Dreamweaver.

This attached banner and logo was first designed in MS Paint by a friend who had a great idea for a website.. never saw it to the end though. She had sent it over to me, and I did a little touching up in either Photoshop and/or Illustrator CS4 or CS5 :beta1: she wanted something simple and clean.

This post has been edited by Viper2KX: 02 May 2011 - 03:50 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for tips or ideas...

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for tips or ideas...

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

About your logo...

That is a horrible font. I can't even read it. I can make out "Queens of..." and that is it. If I where you, I would change it to a font that is still elegant, but easier on the eyes and easy to read (white on purple, not my favorite.)

On the site you mentioned...

I love the idea. Is it going to be centered towards graphics designers only, or will it include other fields as well?

Some things you could include is a profile system that lets the people hiring the bidders look at said bidders up close, see their portfolios, see their faces, maybe even give them a phone call, since a few people I've done freelance for insist on talking with me real time.

All in all I think it's a good idea and you should go for it full on! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostNeverPool, on 02 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

About your logo...

That is a horrible font. I can't even read it. I can make out "Queens of..." and that is it. If I where you, I would change it to a font that is still elegant, but easier on the eyes and easy to read (white on purple, not my favorite.)

I wasn't asking for a critique on the attached logo... the site isn't live nor is it up anymore in a free hosting service because my friend and her potential co-worker had a different callings across country. But thanks for that, it was just an example of my kinda lame basic skills in Photoshop and Illustrator.

View PostNeverPool, on 02 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

On the site you mentioned...

I love the idea. Is it going to be centered towards graphics designers only, or will it include other fields as well?

Some things you could include is a profile system that lets the people hiring the bidders look at said bidders up close, see their portfolios, see their faces, maybe even give them a phone call, since a few people I've done freelance for insist on talking with me real time.

All in all I think it's a good idea and you should go for it full on! :)

The site is for both web and graphic designers. As for all other fields, I am not sure. I am not super creative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

You're effectively committing suicide to take a job this much over your head.

Freelancer was made by a professional class designer for what was probably a 5,000$+ design and 15,000$+ backend. To make that type of project work you need a team and a danged skilled one at that. If you're not completely competent in your skills as a programmer then I would step back from this type of job.

There's a line where every freelancer must stop. I stop past small businesses and non-profits. Why? Because my skills are not at a level that would adequately reflect the requirements of a larger company. For me to take that type of job would be an insult to both the company and its clients.

I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means. I'm saying that this is all types of a bad idea for a person of your current level to try and take on, especially solo.

That level of a project should run in the 15-25,000$ range easily. If the client is telling you less than that you're being seriously undercut. This is, without a doubt, a large team job.

As far as the logo, the fact that you even mentioned paint in the design process should send some serious red flags screaming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Ok, really? You are going to post in a public forum and talk about prices, and what it would take and where you would stop for your respect... if you ask me, that all would have been better to bring up in a private message. I posted this for ideas for logos only, not to hear about other where other freelancers go and do not go to keep their dignity. You said, "I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means." - Like I said, best if you had sent your post to me in a private message if you didn't want to try and be.

As for the MS Paint reference, you have completely misread. The friend used Paint as an idea of what she and her former co-worker had in mind. I agree, I could have done a better job. But I was just starting to get use to using Photoshop and Illustrator. If the site with the attached pictures had actually went live with the domain queensofclean-maryland.com or something and not in a subfolder on 110mb.com, I would have severely taken time and made it a lot better. But having a hunch it wouldn't go live, I really didn't see the point.

Its fine where you draw the line, but I don't. By the way, how do you know my current level? My level of a graphic designer is obvious, web designing- came natural to me at a young age. ... "I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means." - or try thinking before you speak.

Sorry Lemur, I don't take things lightly when things said in public which are meant to be said in private.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

I might be interested in helping you. I'd need a little more information and can give you all sorts of information.
Why don't we talk outside of this forum?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Please try and keep help in the forums if possible, this helps other members to learn :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Understood.
I just figured from a professional's stand point, some things are better left out of the forum.
But, since I don't want to ruffle any feathers... we can talk, here. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

Just looking for ideas for a logo. I feel the general bird is over done... you know, the

Free as a bird.
quote.
:/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

Start with the basics.

Color(s) - what colors are chosen
Subject - what the subject matter is pertaining to
Business - what are they about?
Fonts - this one is the trickiest of all - avoid brush scripts, comic sans, and fonts that make words illegible.

After that, start looking at other company logos. Sometimes simple says a lot. You don't want to over complicate things. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Critique is critique. If you can't take it then you really need to look into a new industry.

There's really no way I can convince you of this until you start to get into the field. Just by the nature of your reply I can tell you're new to this and you haven't experienced half of the horror stories of clients you'll get after 2-3 years.

The absolute worst thing for you is to take high class jobs you can't handle, it will screw you in ways you can't even comprehend. People talk, a lot. If even 1 or 2 bad reviews get out about you it's game over, especially if you're new. You won't have PR to cover anything, you're left to fend for yourself and hope people don't notice.

Another huge dig with taking on big jobs is it means they have big influence. Make SURE you can handle that type of power. It's like weights, you would be an absolute moron to walk into a gym and rack 500lbs on bench just starting out, you have to work your way up to where you can handle it without killing yourself.

Your level is NOT web design, that's your specialty. Your level is at this point effectively amateur. No amount of natural talent makes you a class act professional, that takes YEARS of practice and refinement. It's not "your style" it's a lack of experience that you need to build on.

I'm no where near where I need to be yet to be any more than a Junior Designer/Developer. It takes TIME and a LOT of it at that. I have no intention of playing the accolades game either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1